Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Go Mets!!!!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 2009 Night Train and now it is time to personalize it. I have purchase a Screaming Eagle air cleaner and now I am shopping for pipes. My favorites are Vance & Hines Big Shots. My only personal experience with them is on a friends 2005 Ultra and man are they loud! My 11 year old daughter rides with me a lot and the noise hurts her ears. Plus my neighbors like me and I want to keep it that way. I believe there are quieter baffles available for them but how much do they help? I also have a 2003 Night Train with Screaming Eagle slip-ons. They sound nice but I don't like the look of stock softail pipes. A little louder would be OK but i am looking for a nice friendly rumble. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. :ride

·
Registered
541 Posts
V&H pipes with their Quiet Baffles end up being only a little bit, say 4-6 dB, louder than SE II pipes, in my opinion. That opinion is formed from an XL1200, not your 96".

If you REALLY care about your neighbords, have them all over for a BBQ and have some friends with HD's and various pipes come. Turn the bikes on one-by-one and see which pipes your neighbors are willing to tolerate. Then they are part of the decision-making process and probably won't complain later on, even if you went with something a little louder anyway. It's calle Stakeholder Management, and it works!

If you SORT OF care about your neighbors, tell them you'll quiet down your HD if they start using one of those whisper silent electric mowers from Mars.

Nick

·
Go Mets!!!!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thoughts Nick. I went ahead and purchased the V&H Big Shots today with the quiet baffles and a screaming eagle air cleaner. I believe i can learn to keep it down in the evening hours. Being the enforcer of the neighborhood I have to set the example.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Python Pipes are my favorite..... I know, they are made by V&H but I have a set of V&H on my 2004 Nighttrain and a set of Pythons on my 2006 Street Bob and the Bob is louder but not obnixously and my neighboors dont complain. I am in the process in making my own set for the train or I'd just buy a set of pythons for it as well.

I bought the Slash Cuts......

·
Registered
8 Posts
may be alitle late here but if you didnt decide already, I love my D & D and I also have a nighttrain. I didnt like the look of most 2/1s but wanted the performance. One of the guys at my local dealer had a fatcat on his so we went out and fired it up. It sounded great. I went home and did a bit of research and found that D&D had just released the Lowcat which is an upswept and slightly shorter version of the Fatcat. Same sound and performance but no issues with dragging the pipe in aggressive corners and I think it looks waaaaay better. Its on my bike in my avatar.
Id reccomend this pipe to anyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts