Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I passed my big bike test in the uk last September and I am considering buying a 2009 Road King Classic.

Can anyone offer any advice in terms of do's and dont's.

I am 6ft 2in tall and 21 stone, so having read the forums I see people suggesting higher windscreens, different handle bars, foot pegs, different mirrors, etc, etc.

Being very new to the world of Harley, any advise would be gratefully received.

Cheers

·
Registered
623 Posts
DO - have fun
DON'T - fall down

It's all what you like - when you get the bike and ride you will make changes according to you - maybe a taller windshield, maybe you'd like different bars, footpegs, etc. It's all up to your personal preference. Enjoy - oh did I tell ya, it's 90 here today!

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Hi Wombat!

As Stated In Other Threads,your Best Bet Is To Go To A H-d Ride Day And Try Out A Couple,i Do Know You Must Sign Up For The Ride Day At Your Local Dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I owned a 2006 and loved it. I traded it in for a Night Train and it was a good ride, BUT, I missed the comfort of the Road King Classic. I just bought an 09 and will be picking it up to go to Daytona Bike Week.
It is a great bike!

·
Registered
259 Posts
DO - have fun
DON'T - fall down

It's all what you like - when you get the bike and ride you will make changes according to you - maybe a taller windshield, maybe you'd like different bars, footpegs, etc. It's all up to your personal preference. Enjoy - oh did I tell ya, it's 90 here today!
This is great advice.:USA:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great choice. If you're like most riders you may feel most comfortable with your eyes slightly higher than the top edge of the windshield. Most of us don't want to look through the windshield. The air flow will blow most everything over your head while the windshield relieves you of any wind pressure and flying bugs etc. Even though you're 6'2" in total height, what matters is how long you are in the top half of your body. It's the same with cars. So get the bike and then after riding it you can either buy a taller or shorter windshield or even tak your windshield to a glass shop and have it shorten to a custom height. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Far as I am concerned man, go CVO! Ha ha I can't even spell my name, Flemed what am I a smoker, supposed to be FlamEd. When I bought mine my buddies say, yeah I want to get a chrome this or that, I walk over to my bike and tell em, hmm got it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've ridden motorcycles of all makes since I was 16 yrs old (I'm 46 now). We bought our first Harley in 2004...a brand new Harley Davidson Road King Classic and haven't looked back. For comfort, decent power and exceptional handling on the highway, I personally don't think you could make a better choice. Obviously I'm biased, but you have to make your choice based on whatever makes you happy...and my King makes me VERY happy. Enjoy your ride!!

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I am 6ft 2in tall and 21 stone, so having read the forums I see people suggesting higher windscreens, different handle bars, foot pegs, different mirrors, etc, etc.
People can suggest anything they want. Use that as a guide, and once you get a bike, decide what you want on your own. Sometimes, it may take a few tries till you get it right. :thumb

I've owned a few different seats, tire brands, grips and what not, until I found out what worked and felt right to me.

Sometimes you have to try a few bowls of porridge to find the one that's right for you..........:)

·
sober 2 nite
223 Posts
try be for you buy the RK will be very differant to any thing you have ridden before

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Wombat,

I'm anxious to find out how you like the RK, I just decided to trade my 05 Night Train for an 09 RK....I rode an 05 RK last year and was totally sold on the comfort and if I was a bettin man, I would bet that the 09 is even better, can't wait to find out! ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Wombat,

I'm anxious to find out how you like the RK, I just decided to trade my 05 Night Train for an 09 RK....I rode an 05 RK last year and was totally sold on the comfort and if I was a bettin man, I would bet that the 09 is even better, can't wait to find out! ;)
You'd win that bet, but good luck finding anyone to bet against ya! I love mine. If you get the FLHR, order the cruise control and ABS. You won't regret either one. The Classic comes standard with cruise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It’s your preference bro.....Go to the shop and try them out. You cant go wrong with any Harley... anyway ...and it doesn’t matter what model you pick, narrow it down to 3 of you favorites and try them out, then it, s limits is yours ...lol, also keep in mind what you want to add, some models come with the add-ons that your looking for, and to buy them separately cost a freaking fortune.... Lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is this your first bike? I am also considering a new RK and as a first time rider I wondered if it was too big/heavy. I rented one and it was pretty good (but I really have nothing to compare it to). The advice I was given was that if I could afford the RK I should get it and that it just takes a little time to get used to the size.

·
Registered
189 Posts
so many variables, I am 6 foot, I bought a 09 RK 2 weks ago. the windshield height is perfect for me but are you long legged 6' or long body? I am long body, short leg My pants are 30-32 inch inseam, my shirt Extra large or 48-50 inch chest. Everyone is different.
Carl

I had a 05 dyna, it is an adjustment, but not much of one. My new RK is very easy to ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts