Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously looking at purchasing a 2009 Road King FLHR with only 900 miles. It's stock (seat, pipes, etc.) with the exception of slightly higher handlebars. Have a lot of touring miles on Hondas and beemers, but little experience with Harleys.

In addition to a test ride, also have plans to do the usual visual checks of the brakes, engine/tranny, drive belt, oil, general hardware, etc. Are there any items or issues, specific to this bike, that I should give some extra attention to? Any common issues with the tranny, engine, hardware, electrical, cruise, ABS, etc?

Thanks!

·
Banned
71 Posts
Seriously looking at purchasing a 2009 Road King FLHR with only 900 miles. It's stock (seat, pipes, etc.) with the exception of slightly higher handlebars. Have a lot of touring miles on Hondas and beemers, but little experience with Harleys.

In addition to a test ride, also have plans to do the usual visual checks of the brakes, engine/tranny, drive belt, oil, general hardware, etc. Are there any items or issues, specific to this bike, that I should give some extra attention to? Any common issues with the tranny, engine, hardware, electrical, cruise, ABS, etc?

Thanks!
Check the date code on those 5 year old tires.....you'll need to spring for a new set. :fitz

·
Retired citizen
24,366 Posts
The OP didn't say how $ much ! '09 RK with 900 miles is sweet, BUT how much does it cost ???
From a H-D dealer ? Extended warranty ? Service records ?
We need more info 1st poster !

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
The OP didn't say how $ much ! '09 RK with 900 miles is sweet, BUT how much does it cost ???
From a H-D dealer ? Extended warranty ? Service records ?
We need more info 1st poster !
I agree with Schmidtys.
An 09 with only 900 miles? Where has it been sitting in storage.
If legit, it will be great but I would have it completely checked out for frozen cams, lifters, etc.
Any part that gets oiled has been sitting dry for 5 years. Check for gasket leaks.

Good luck. Sounds great.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree with Schmidtys.
If legit, it will be great but I would have it completely checked out for frozen cams, lifters, etc.
Any part that gets oiled has been sitting dry for 5 years. Check for gasket leaks.

Good luck. Sounds great.
Good advise here. If all of this info checks out good then I can't think of anything in particular too look for with the FLHR, no flaws come to mind.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,119 Posts
I agree with Schmidtys.

Good luck. Sounds great.
+1 Know a guy who bought an 03 Softail for his wife, it sat in the living room for several years, about 10 years. 300 miles. Him and the wife split, he got the bike. Trailered it over to HD for a gasket redo and inspection. 2K later, he's got a new 03.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Bought my 09 king last year, only 10k miles. Had all service records and receipts for all the goodies as well as an inspection from the local dealer.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Mine was an 09 last fall with 6385 miles. It did have a dried up gasket. That cost me an extra $450 or so. The tires need to be changed too but otherwise, it's awesome.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would do all the due diligence that everyone is suggesting before I ever buy another low-mileage miracle, especially at the probable price of an 09 Road King. I kind of doubt I would ever do it again at all, though. I don't know enough about them, but I can imagine that even a thorough inspection is still not going to cover all the bases.

My first bike was an 09 metric last fall. It had about 4k, and the price was a steal. After about 3 weeks / 500 miles it started acting funny--died on me for no reason and a couple other mysteries all in the same day. It was running again, but I traded it away that same day. I have often thought that it was probably because it sat in some garage for years. (I can't be sure of the exact history.) It was worth the peace of mind to take a chance on a cheap one rather than start out with a $20k Harley, but I don't know if I could do it on a bike I planned on keeping.

·
IMMORTAL UNDEAD
904 Posts
If buying from a dealer have him throw in an inspection and get him to put the inspection report on paper, then buy it if he includes new tires at no cost.

·
Señor Member
19,836 Posts
Where'd he go? And he left without leaving any pics?? :laugh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

Webco2, good call on the tires--no doubt they need to be replaced.

I suppose some of the concern about a extremely low mileage bike is justified. However, IMO, the concern about a bike with low-mileage carries no more weight than a bike with higher mileage, or a bike with questionable care and maintenance . . . as it is with any used bike--it's always buyer beware.

As for the mileage being legit, the bike is absolutely mint. Ran my hand underneath the chassis and swing arm and all I found was fine, indoor dust--no road grime at all.

The seller is asking a very fair price--a bit less than similar Road Kings on CL and cycletrader with 25k-50k miles. Have plans to do quite a bit of touring. So, gonna be a tough call between this Road King, and a couple Electra/Road Glides I've also looked at.

·
On the loose
8,724 Posts
I bought my 01 Softail in 2012 with only 3K on it , that bike only had a couple of age related issues , an O-ring in the fuel line and of course 11 year old tires other than that it was trouble free and ran great for the 12K I put on it.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
found my buddy a 02 super glide last spring with 1400 i think- super low miles-
rode all last summer without a issue - we did complete fluids and tires -and a tank of seafoam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts