Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Day from Canada,

I am new to this forum and a previous owner of 1985 Softail.
That was back when she was a chain drive four speed.
I have been away from riding for a few years, was looking for a new machine and pretty serious about another Softail, but went down to Tennessee for a trip and rented an 07 Road King and was sold. Road the Deluxe and a Street Glide but loved that Road King. Actually had an 08 on order but couldn't be found so now I am waiting for an 09.
Looks like a few changes in the 09's but nothing earth shaking.

With the Road King I see.

1. Bigger back tire only, not front.(at least on the RK)
2. TC 96 engine mounted at four points not three. Smoother maybe, but I hope she doesn't purr like a Honda!
3. bigger bags?
4 Totally new frame and swingarm assembly
5. Did I notice that the gears (all six are different than last year?) Is this because of the new wheel size?
6. Exhaust routing - good for the heat thing

Anybody else got any comments on this.
I am going ride the 09 when she gets here, but I haven't closed my option on the 08. I like the way 07 and 08 96's rumbled when idling, but I am thinking that they were stressing the mounts. Any comments on this?

Good day eh!

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I am not the person to speak about the newest Road Kings, but can say welcome to the most wonderful HD fan place around. We look forward to hearing from you.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Welcome from BC and I think they made some great changes for 09.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Good Day from Canada,

I am new to this forum and a previous owner of 1985 Softail.
That was back when she was a chain drive four speed.
I have been away from riding for a few years, was looking for a new machine and pretty serious about another Softail, but went down to Tennessee for a trip and rented an 07 Road King and was sold. Road the Deluxe and a Street Glide but loved that Road King. Actually had an 08 on order but couldn't be found so now I am waiting for an 09.
Looks like a few changes in the 09's but nothing earth shaking.

With the Road King I see.

1. Bigger back tire only, not front.(at least on the RK)
2. TC 96 engine mounted at four points not three. Smoother maybe, but I hope she doesn't purr like a Honda!
3. bigger bags?
4 Totally new frame and swingarm assembly
5. Did I notice that the gears (all six are different than last year?) Is this because of the new wheel size?
6. Exhaust routing - good for the heat thing

Anybody else got any comments on this.
I am going ride the 09 when she gets here, but I haven't closed my option on the 08. I like the way 07 and 08 96's rumbled when idling, but I am thinking that they were stressing the mounts. Any comments on this?

Good day eh!
Saul, enjoy a nice test ride with the '09 RK. You will have the same rumble with the '09 as with the '08/'07's. Perhaps the four mount points will have the bike shaking less at idle, but this won't change the sweet rumble the Milwaukee engineers are sure to preserve and prioritize. I ride an '07 King and never thought the bike needed any improvements. Net, check out the '08 when it arrives and you'll have a fine choice... the '09 or perhaps an '08. Won't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a 2009 FLHR and all I can say is wow. I have been riding for 35 years and traded a 1994 FLHR that I had since new. I also have a 2008 anniversary edition FLHX and the Road King hands-down is the most fun and comfortable touring bike I have ever had. I love the 2 into 1 exhaust - it make a better tone than the 2008 and the re-gearing definitely gives the illusion of more power to the ground. The front 17" tire helps elevate the rider stance a notch and the 180 rear definitely does a great job of grabbing the asphalt and transferring the torgue to where it's needed. The fly by wire feature with cruise is awesome. I also really like the look the of the 28-spoke wheels. Another feature that is pretty cool is the "parade mode", or the "Engine Temperature Idle Management System" (ETIMS). The rear cylinder shuts down when a preset temperature is reached - helps the rider not schorch the undeside of their thigh when stuck in bumper to bumper, slow-moving traffic. The bike also has a completely redesigned frame that features less than half of the welded components of the old frames - now 40 pieces versus 90. All in all I am extremely happy with the bike and one of the best things was the price of $17.8K out the door.

Hope you enjoy yours as much.

Take care & ride safe!

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Welcome to our lil' corner of the Internet! The specs on the '09 baggers look absolutely delicious. If I was shopping, I'd take the '09 over an '08 any day of the week... my understanding is that the '08 is somewhat of an 'orphan' model year with a number of one-year-only changes. (Of course, I was lusting feverishly at the '08's as well). Go figure.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
In the world of Harleys I would call the 09's earth shaking. Every minor imperfection has been addressed making the perfect touring bike. As KB said delicious!

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
I now have 1000 miles on my new FLHX and must say I'm very impressed with the new changes.
HD sure has come a long way since I started riding them in 1980 till present.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am new to this site and just purchased my new and first 2009 Harley FLHTCU in the new Sunglo Red color. Added the digital antennae in the front and detachable tour pac kit. Previous owner of a Kawasaki Vulcan and traded for the larger touring bike. Liked the Vulcan and really like the Ultra Classic. Handles very well and like the rear cylinder cut off feature when stopped to eliminate some of the heat, especially here in the Houston heat with high humidity climate. Detachable tour pac kit makes it easy to remove the tour pack for the everyday around town riding. Main selling point to me was the wider upgraded tires and uni-body improvements. Not enough miles on it at this point to give a good review from my perspective.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I am new to this site and just purchased my new and first 2009 Harley FLHTCU in the new Sunglo Red color. Added the digital antennae in the front and detachable tour pac kit. Previous owner of a Kawasaki Vulcan and traded for the larger touring bike. Liked the Vulcan and really like the Ultra Classic. Handles very well and like the rear cylinder cut off feature when stopped to eliminate some of the heat, especially here in the Houston heat with high humidity climate. Detachable tour pac kit makes it easy to remove the tour pack for the everyday around town riding. Main selling point to me was the wider upgraded tires and uni-body improvements. Not enough miles on it at this point to give a good review from my perspective.
Welcome to the site and let us know your impressions as you get them. My dad rides a Vulcan these days and he (and I) love it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All in all I am extremely happy with the bike and one of the best things was the price of $17.8K out the door.

Hope you enjoy yours as much.

Take care & ride safe!
I have a '09 FLHRC on order which I got @ MSRP and less dealer setup. who is the dealer @ 17.8k OTD?

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Uhhhh......that "totally new frame and swingarm" is not a small upgrade. That is major stuff. They re-designed the Dyna frame a year or two ago and made a huge difference in how the bike feels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FLHTCU - Sunglo Red Ultra Classsic

Now had the bike four days and just at the 500 miles mark. Very satified with this model and glad I went ahead with the 2009. Although I do not think it is something just to jump out and buy if you have an earlier model, I am glad (since I was going to purchase a new bike anyway) I decided to go for the 09 instead of the remaining new 08's on the floor. Stability on the curves at highway speed appears to be very good and I really like the 6th gear, which I do not use until reach about 60 mph. The heat seems somewhat less noticable both on the road and when stopped than the previous years. Although it has the rear cylinder cut off feature, I am not usng it at this time other than the one time I tried it just to see how it works. It works fine, just did not see a need to keep it in that mode. Shifting through the gears seems a little easier than the 08 I rode. Need to make sure everyone understands this is an upgrade for me from the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic Lt and that I am a new rider with only 6 months months experience an 59 years of age averaging about 2,000 miles a month. This is just short of a 300 pound increase in weight for me but seems very balanced and had no problems to this point. Spent some time doing figure 8's in the parking lot as well as quick stops on straight aways and curves. Low speed seems just as easy to handle as my Vulcan. My thoughts might help a beginner like me but probably not much value to an experienced rider.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2009 Road Kings

I bought a brand new Road King back at the end of may and I already have 9k on the bike. I love the bike. Looking at the 2009 models, a few things I don't think I like, and some things I don't. I have not taken a ride on a 09 yet, but I do like the fat tire. As long as this does not effect the handling, this is a nice change on the touring models. As far as the exhaust (left side of bike that goes under the frame) , I think this looks like an abortion, and I would have true duels put on if I had an 09.Its just plain ugly to see them go to a two into one, then split off and wrap it under the frame. Also, I think the real heat problem is with the rear head, not the pipes, at least for the driver. As far as taking the "shake" out of the bike at idle, well for me this is part of the Harley experience, to me they are trying to get those jap buyers to come over to Harley and this is another tactic. I personally like having no vibration driving down the road, but at idle this is what separates the Harley from other bikes, but thats just my opinion, and I will be riding the 08 for a long time before this will be a problem for me. I guess for me, if I was buying a new bike right now, I would look for a left over 08. But again, maybe its the old school in me, I hated to give up my evo for a twin cam, and here I am riding a twin cam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today I purchased a 2009 Road King Classic, which I will take possession of in about a week or so. I'm a little nervous because for the last 5 yrs. I have been riding an 03 Heritage. I have to say, I really enjoyed the feel of the Heritage and the counter balanced engine. I average about 11k miles a year and I'm told I will not regret the move. Any opinions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My last bike was a heritage. You will not regret going to a Road King, It rides better, and I think it handles better. The 09's changed their design, so there is no vibration, even at idle. (Not sure I like that) and the rear tire is bigger. I took me about 10 miles on my Road King to forget I had been riding a Heritage for the last four years.:ride

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, quite a few changes to the 09 touring bikes.

The rear tire is bigger and of course the rear fender has changed also. The little bar behind the seat is no longer there. They have a completely new frame that has less welds and parts , with new motor mounts that eliminate a lot of the vibration at idle. The exhaust is changed. On the right side, the rear jug exhaust ties in closer to the front of the bike, then breaks off and wraps under the bike right before the rear tire for the left pipe. (I think this is ugly and would install true duels if I had an 09:eek:) It will be interesting to see what happens with next years models.:cool:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts