Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding the other day when I stopped at a red light and the bike dyed and engine light turned on. It started back up but when I released the clutch it dyed about after 10 feet. I got it started again and nursed it home about two miles and parked it. the engine light was on the whole time. I thought it might be a dirty air filter so I cleaned it but still won't start just cranks. This bike has only 8264 miles on it. I bought it in 2015 with 248 miles. Due to injuries and illnesses I just been able to ride it this year. It has a Screaming Eagle stage one on it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

First things first: Ya gotta pull the trouble codes... There's a sticky on how to do this in electrical section...
Please pardon my greymatter laps at the moment. But, i can't for the life of me remember what year MoCo changed to the electronic odometer... IF yours is the digital type:
Key: off
Run/ Stop switch: off
Press and hold the odometer reset button and turn the key to ON.
Hold the reset button until the gauges finish sweeping.
The ODO will now read the codes (I wouldn't reset any until you get them written down)
Each press off the reset changes through the menu.

The codes will remain unless you Y the reset codes.... So leave that be for now... When you finish reading and writing down the codes, simply turn the key off to exit the diagnostic menu.

If the above procedure doesn't work on your bike, then go to the electrical section and follow the procedure there. (The procedure i just listed is for my bikes.. 2014, 2017. So that's the one i remember and i proof'd it while writing this. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I'm suspecting a fuel issue however, gotta get the sparks out of the way first...

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Here's a link to the Sporty Diagnostic sticky:

Reactions: Gorillathehun

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a link to the Sporty Diagnostic sticky:

Thanks 1\2 ton after I posted I scrolled down and seen the post about "Cranks buts don't start" I went to see if my fuel pump was priming. It wasn't I couldn't here it went I turn the ignition. I did check the plugs and they looked ok. I did look for the codes and my result was this:
P0261 - Fuel injector Open / closed
P0263 - Rear injector Open / Closed
P1003 - System relay contacts open
I'm pricing a fuel pump kit , hopefully I can find one cheaper then the harley shop by my house. I'm not much of a mechanic but I'm betting towards the fuel pump.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,268 Posts
Check your relays and connections…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I did checked all the fuses and the fuel pump plug.
fuses are fysses... Relays are electrically controlled switches... The larger boxy lookin things.

Your ECM is calling out the system relay. Hella lot cheaper than a fuel pump!

Click this link for a picture of the relay. Item #9 (less than $15):

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I tried to correct my last post... Clicked on the three dot thing to edit... No response from the site? Odd...

Just wanted to correct my mistype (fusses not fysses) but thought it strange it wont let me edit my own post?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks 1/2 ton you saved me a lot of money. I'm not much of a mechanic or have much electrical knowlege. I bought two system relays and that worked.Fuel pump works great and I have a spare for next time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts