Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 09 Ultra just over a week ago...couldn't be happier after trading in my 05 with 65,000 miles. However, I noticed within two days it became harder and harder to backup and push around. I ask the dealership to look at brake drag when I dropped it off for the 1000 mile service. Turns out I had ZERO AIR PRESSURE in the rear tire!!! I've riden bikes over 40 years and know what it feels like when a rear tire is low on pressure...I didn't feel anything abnormal except that it was hard to push around. Don't know if that's a good thing but that's not my problem (services says the new bigger tire has a stiffer sidewall). Service found nothing wrong with the rear tire and filled it with air to 42 PSI. Within a day the pressure dropped to 35 PSI. Soapy water spray shows no leaks anywhere. Service is ordering me a new tire and rim but it will take a week to get here. Anyone else experience tire problems with the new 09 bigger tire and rim?

Ron

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Welcome and no problems on my 09 FLHX.
Will keep an eye on it just in case.
The 09's have a harder center and soft sides so the tire should last longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Perhaps you should consider install a Savior250psi onboard tire compressor . Next time you mite not be so lucky

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
if it's losing 7 psi in a day it's not a big leak, shouldn't be losing any pressure but it's going to be difficult to find on the bike. Could be the tyre or the valve or a porus rim. At least the dealer is doing the right thing for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried the 09 its a great bike I like every thing about it. I am thinking of buying one. The only thing is the front shredder valve. its hard to put air in the tire. the first thing i will do is replace the shredder valve with a bent one like the bmer

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
I hate to say it but, if you've lost 7 psi in a day you have a leak somewhere!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer installed new tire...still losing air so determined to be a defect in the rim. Rim on backorder and will not receive until early December. It's a new rim for 2009 so watch carefully if youy buying an '09.

·
Registered
12 Posts
no trouble on my 09 ultra so far will keep a eye on it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts