Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What difference does it make having the wide back tire?
Does it corner different?
Is it different to turn?

Sold the 08 Heritage and got the 14 Fat Boy and it feels different when turning, it wants to go wider from a stop.
Yet it seems that I can lean more in the curves.
Typical or am I just not used to the bike yet?

·
Registered
365 Posts
gotta get used to it, but when ya do you'll love it. I run a Metzy Marathon 880 sized 200-50(or 55)ZR-18 on the rear of my 07 St. Bob. its a zero degree tire to allow more space from fender. Wouldn't think of going back to a 160 unless had gun to head. Off the line ya can really let her eat, n a little messing with throttle and/or brake taps will make her eat up the corners too...

·
Registered
483 Posts
usually the narrower tires will perform better in the curves however the Yamaha warrior (i also own an 05 warrior but presently have a 330 on the rear) came stock with a 200 tire and handles great in the curves. Some guy s with the warrior I know have gone down to a 190 and say it is even better in the curves. The wider tires in my opinion look much better but I am not a canyon carver so for me the wider the better. My Fat bob has the stock 180 on it but i have a rim and swingarm to go to a 250, my saxon has a 300 and my warrior has a 330

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
Little bit of both. I went from a 97 heritage to the Break Out with the 240 rear. I expected it to be worse in the corners because it is also raked out more. I do feel like it hugs the corners better. It took me about 600 miles to get really comfortable to the point of scrapping pegs. Have 10K on it now and love it even more.

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you responses. I have less than 400 miles on the bike so far.
Getting used to the tight right turn.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Little bit of both. I went from a 97 heritage to the Break Out with the 240 rear. I expected it to be worse in the corners because it is also raked out more. I do feel like it hugs the corners better. It took me about 600 miles to get really comfortable to the point of scrapping pegs. Have 10K on it now and love it even more.
Same here. I really thought it would be worse in the corners. Once I got used to it, I corner much deeper than I could with the old Standard. Edging up on 10k on my Breakout also. Handles highway miles great too. I don't think I could go back to a narrower tire.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I love the look of the fat tires on some of you guysez bikes. Always wondered how well they handle. I know with a chopper a buddy and I built with a 200 on back it was mostly a straight line bike. Going into a turn was different, Nothing I'd want to do in the hills, But I never tried.

·
2009 Softail Custom
294 Posts
I have a 2009 Softail Custom. It comes standard with a 200 on the back and a 21 inch tire on the front and it has a longer rake in front. Having said that....it corners pretty good and I love the feel. I too have Metz's front and back and they make a difference too. If you want to see how the bike handles I have a video of the first time I was on the Dragon with this bike, may 2013. The cam is attached in the left handlebar next to the headlight. It will give you the feel of how the bike handles in quick curves on a first time ride.

By the way I was riding with my brother and two of his friends on Gold Wings.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Here is a pic showing a bit of why some people like to go fat. This is showing my saxon with a 300 rear compared to my Fatbob with a 180 rear thought you might like to see a side by side comparison

Attachments

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
The biggest issue I found with the 200 is longevity, not handling. My 08 Night Train came with one stock. I was replacing it every 6-7K miles as opposed to guys with 180mm tires getting twice the miles out of theirs with similar riding styles. After some research I found this to be true across bike brands and tire brands as well. I went Darkside and ran a P205/50R17 car tire for about 50K (2 tires) and was very happy with it. Michelin came out with the Commander II that was said to get better mileage so I tried one. 6K on it so far and about half worn. I haven't decided if I'll go with this tire again or if I'll go back to a car tire yet.
Plan on frequent replacement unless you have a Commander II on there.

·
Registered
365 Posts
unlike normal claims of gettint 10,000 out of the stock dunlops (160 rear 100 front), I got 5,400 on mine n the rear is nearly whooped (could have pushed a few hundred miles if needed to). The front is still in good shape prolly has couple thousand left if needed for emergency hold over...on my first set of Metzys (200)I got 8500mi. out of rear (fully used up)n so far over 12,000 mi on Front (100) n it still is in great shape, prolly at least another 4,000...bout when this rear will b ready for change again....
...so I cant complain about mileage at all, especially how I ride sometimes when up in mountains, like a raped ape,lol...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 2009 Softail Custom. It comes standard with a 200 on the back and a 21 inch tire on the front and it has a longer rake in front. Having said that....it corners pretty good and I love the feel. I too have Metz's front and back and they make a difference too. If you want to see how the bike handles I have a video of the first time I was on the Dragon with this bike, may 2013. The cam is attached in the left handlebar next to the headlight. It will give you the feel of how the bike handles in quick curves on a first time ride.

09 HAREY SOFT TAIL CUSTOM FXSTC - RIDING THE TAIL OF THE DRAGON! - YouTube

By the way I was riding with my brother and two of his friends on Gold Wings.
Nice video FatDog :)
I have a 2007 softail std. with the 200mm and I like the way it handles. I can lean a good bit more than the '95 sporty I had before.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
unlike normal claims of gettint 10,000 out of the stock dunlops (160 rear 100 front), I got 5,400 on mine n the rear is nearly whooped (could have pushed a few hundred miles if needed to). The front is still in good shape prolly has couple thousand left if needed for emergency hold over...on my first set of Metzys (200)I got 8500mi. out of rear (fully used up)n so far over 12,000 mi on Front (100) n it still is in great shape, prolly at least another 4,000...bout when this rear will b ready for change again....
...so I cant complain about mileage at all, especially how I ride sometimes when up in mountains, like a raped ape,lol...
I've got 9400 on my stock 240 Dunlop so far. It's still got some miles on it, but I'm probably going to replace it soon anyway. Startin' to get a little squirrely at times.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts

QUOTE]

Great video, have same bike. Sounds similar to mine.
Running Cmdr II on rear. Handles and rides better than Dunlops and a Mtzler 880. Have 5k+ on it now with approx. 4/32 left. Hoping to get 7K on it. Stock Dunlop on front get over 7K on those skinny sh^ts.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Scrouge- that is great mileage for a Dunlop, or any other brand rear tire. Your roads must not be chewed up like the ones here in upstate NY is all I can say. That or we have totally different riding styles. Whatever you are doing, continue the same I am really shocked by your mileage....
...I agree, if getting squirrely, its time to replace very soon. Think ya can push it to 10,000 miles, or is it getting unsafe?

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I figured something out today.
I started adjusting the handlebars, and ended up raising them a couple of inches.
It makes a HUGH difference in the way the bike handles, corners, and turns.
I found myself over steering the bike.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Scrouge- that is great mileage for a Dunlop, or any other brand rear tire. Your roads must not be chewed up like the ones here in upstate NY is all I can say. That or we have totally different riding styles. Whatever you are doing, continue the same I am really shocked by your mileage....
...I agree, if getting squirrely, its time to replace very soon. Think ya can push it to 10,000 miles, or is it getting unsafe?
Not really feeling unsafe yet. I'm sure I could push it to 10,000. Just sometimes when I apply the back brake it slides just a little where it didn't do that before. Took it in when I had around 8000 on it and they said I could go some more on it. Said he didn't want to just take my money when I really didn't need one yet. The roads here are fairly bad in some places, but overall not really that chewed up. I guess I just ride normal. 80 to 85 on the highway. No burnouts or anything like that. Probably have it at 10,000 in a couple of weeks. Here's what it looked like at around 8000 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Decided to go ahead and replace the rear. I have time and funds to do it and may not have the time when it really becomes necessary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts