Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very new to the site... joined today. I have a 2010 FLHTCU... The original compensator is shot- common clunk but louder. I have looked at the Baker and the BDL. Both seem to be viable options. However, the Baker has a big $$$ price tag on it as opposed to the BDL. I also notice that BDL uses 2 Nylatron (Nylon) washers which I am not so sure about. Has anyone had any issues to share? I had the BDL compensator referred to me by a good friend/Harley Master Tech... and he said he hasn't had any issues with either but the BDL was cheaper and you don't have to change the rotor like you do with the Baker.

Another thing was when I opened it up- I looked at the starter Bendix gear and found it to be chewed up.. the starter ring gear looks pristine... so I am not sure how this happened other than starter failure or not aligned correctly. Thoughts?

I bought this bike for my best bud and fellow combat Veteran... he was deployed to the sandbox for the last year and just returned. I wanted to take the winter and get the bike ready for him to ride with me next spring... so- trying to make sure all is right before he gets on it...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Look at the Darkhorse crankworks unit I personally havent used one but I looks good and everything they supply is top notch

·
Registered
156 Posts
I’ve had the baker unit and adjuster in my 2010 RGC for a year... no complaints other then the cost. Hot starts are quick and easy now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Just Ride
3,458 Posts
Vulcan motor works has solid sprocket for less than $200.00 I've had it on for 70k miles with no problems. Might be vulcan engineering. Can't remember which. Google it.

Reactions: Marinejunkie41

·
91 FXLR
69 Posts
Yes Baker is high...!! In Baker's Prior life he was a Transmission Engineer for GM. The Man knows his Stuff....!!!

My 1991 Harley FXLR & 1999 FatBoy have the Baker OD6 Trans. Both have a longer 1&2nd Gear. So no issues is what money buys. Baker installed my FatBoy's OD6 at Daytona 2019.

Baker is Quality..... you can't go wrong with him......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very new to the site... joined today. I have a 2010 FLHTCU... The original compensator is shot- common clunk but louder. I have looked at the Baker and the BDL. Both seem to be viable options. However, the Baker has a big $$$ price tag on it as opposed to the BDL. I also notice that BDL uses 2 Nylatron (Nylon) washers which I am not so sure about. Has anyone had any issues to share? I had the BDL compensator referred to me by a good friend/Harley Master Tech... and he said he hasn't had any issues with either but the BDL was cheaper and you don't have to change the rotor like you do with the Baker.

Another thing was when I opened it up- I looked at the starter Bendix gear and found it to be chewed up.. the starter ring gear looks pristine... so I am not sure how this happened other than starter failure or not aligned correctly. Thoughts?

I bought this bike for my best bud and fellow combat Veteran... he was deployed to the sandbox for the last year and just returned. I wanted to take the winter and get the bike ready for him to ride with me next spring... so- trying to make sure all is right before he gets on it...

Marinejunkie, thanks for your service...and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like to me your doing an "over kill"for now. The 2010 bikes had junky compensator on them, Harley had a couple different "up grades" which are allot better and seem to solve the noise problems. I would go that route and have the bike ready to ride,,, and burn ALLOT of gas through the tank...You can always go back and work and replace things down the road giving you reason to drink some beer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts