Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jerk
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Gurls Iron sits alot these days as She has lost all interest in it, So I ride it around when My bike is in for service (as it is this week) or just bang around the canyons for the day. Being I have a Vrod with a Modded Exhaust and Tach I know on that bike when to switch gears, what gear I am in etc.. This Bike I get very lost on my gear switching on this bike as it has Stock everything and NO Tach. So instead of investing a bunch of $$$ into a Bike thats Neither Mine nor ridden much (Aka Could BE sold at any minute) I am thinking a simple Shift Light on the bars is my best bet. Anyone have a Fav for this model? Are they easy to install?

Thanx For Listening.

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
the raptor shift light favored by the vrod riders is still about the best deal and a quality product also. i think it goes for about $100 , it is not water proof. but i have seen one get wet and not work then when it dried out it worked fine, seen this in person on several occasions.

·
Banned
5,305 Posts
He don't get any rain...so should be good:thumb

Hey Lux!!!! I got the saddle bag brackets off!!! Give me your address

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts
Lux... riding an airhead... and not berating it? Dude, you have come a long way. Next you'll have a Barco-lounger like mine and an R :rofl:

·
Registered
893 Posts
I just shift to keep 'em in the "sweet spot" where vibration is practically zero. It's higher up than you think... I just shift up or down to keep it there using sound and vibration as a guide. Honestly I like my eyes on the road instead of on tach/shift light..

·
Jerk
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the raptor shift light favored by the vrod riders is still about the best deal and a quality product also. i think it goes for about $100 , it is not water proof. but i have seen one get wet and not work then when it dried out it worked fine, seen this in person on several occasions.
Hm THose look good and reasonable priced, I will call on MOnday and check it out, Thanx

I just shift to keep 'em in the "sweet spot" where vibration is practically zero. It's higher up than you think... I just shift up or down to keep it there using sound and vibration as a guide. Honestly I like my eyes on the road instead of on tach/shift light..
Well thats just it, The Book claims to change 15, 25, 35 ,40 & 50. All those are terrible recommendations especially the 4th and 5th gear as the Bike Luggs like crazy in 5th at 45-50mph. after yesterdays nice long ride I have discovered that 3rd and 4th gears can be wound out much further than I was making the bike much more responsive.

I just use my ears... only trouble I have is sometimes I want to keep shifting like I have 7 or 8 gears.
Exhaust is too quiet to hear over the iPod.

Lux... riding an airhead... and not berating it? Dude, you have come a long way. Next you'll have a Barco-lounger like mine and an R :rofl:
Oh Come now, How can I go on like I do about how Excellent all those Exile Bikes are, Zero Engineering and the onslaught of GArage made Bobbers that are appearing all over the SoCal roads these days if I didn't like the Air Cooled Motors? Its The Guys on them I usually have the problem with if anything.
Now the R? Never. I would sooner walk with rocks in my shoes.

·
Jerk
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He don't get any rain...so should be good:thumb

Hey Lux!!!! I got the saddle bag brackets off!!! Give me your address
I will Happily throw them into the Fire Pit for you!!!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,801 Posts
just my 2 cents. I have a couple of those shift lights that I never put on,

after reading the installation instructions, and the cautions about the lens covers.

The shift lights are BRIGHT! Blinding, that's why they come with a plastic cover,

during the day you remove the cover, you need the brightness to see it light up.

At night you need to put the cover on to keep from being blinded.

Shift lights are for WFO racers who are inclined to blow up their engines by over-revving.

That's why the intensity denotes SELF DESTRUCTION IS IMMINENT !!

IMHO you'd get more what you want and need out of a mini-tachometer,

with reasonable intensity and rev display at all levels and not only at a near crisis levels and for less $$

·
Jerk
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THose look interesting and not bad for $90-$99 but how much more "Stuff" is needed to install them?

just my 2 cents. I have a couple of those shift lights that I never put on,

after reading the installation instructions, and the cautions about the lens covers.

The shift lights are BRIGHT! Blinding, that's why they come with a plastic cover,

during the day you remove the cover, you need the brightness to see it light up.

At night you need to put the cover on to keep from being blinded.

Shift lights are for WFO racers who are inclined to blow up their engines by over-revving.

That's why the intensity denotes SELF DESTRUCTION IS IMMINENT !!

IMHO you'd get more what you want and need out of a mini-tachometer,

with reasonable intensity and rev display at all levels and not only at a near crisis levels and for less $$

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
don't know about the new sportys but the older ones you use the same bolt that holds the speedo on, the mounting tab can be moved to about any position.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,801 Posts
not bad for $90-$99 but how much more "Stuff" is needed to install them?
No more stuff, it's a simple counter, on a less complex bike it would count spark signal,

on a bikes as new as your's there already is an rpm signal, just need to figure out

where the connection is.. so the hook up is key, no more parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts