Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I replaced the battery on my 2010 Nighster it started right up. I went for two short rides with no problem. Then, when I stop to refuel, it would not start. The red fuel light came on and the battery seems to have a full charge.

· Retired citizen
26,674 Posts
When I replaced the battery on my 2010 Nighster it started right up. I went for two short rides with no problem. Then, when I stop to refuel, it would not start. The red fuel light came on and the battery seems to have a full charge.
Check that the battery negative cable is tight. If you didn't follow the correct procedure installing the battery the cable will loosen and lose connection.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check that the battery negative cable is tight. If you didn't follow the correct procedure installing the battery the cable will loosen and lose connection.
I'm getting full power from the battery. When I turn the key to on possition, all the lights come on and I could hear the fuel pump when I click it to run possintion. When I push the start button nothing happens and what looks like a red warning light is on.

· Retired citizen
26,674 Posts
I'm getting full power from the battery. When I turn the key to on possition, all the lights come on and I could hear the fuel pump when I click it to run possintion. When I push the start button nothing happens and what looks like a red warning light is on.
Damn dude, I said look at the battery negative cable connection at the battery terminal. All those lights on and other indicators don't need a lot of amps, they'll come on with mA but the starter requires 90 - 100 Amps.
You swapped out the batteries and now shit doesn't work ! I'm thinking you didn't connect the battery cables per procedure.
Do you know the procedure ?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Damn dude, I said look at the battery negative cable connection at the battery terminal. All those lights on and other indicators don't need a lot of amps, they'll come on with mA but the starter requires 90 - 100 Amps.
You swapped out the batteries and now shit doesn't work ! I'm thinking you didn't connect the battery cables per procedure.
Do you know the procedure ?
Damn Dude! I know how to replace a freaking battery. It's not that. It was the neutral sensor. It would not start because it thought it was in gear when it was in fact in neutral. It is fixed now. Thank you for your concern smart guy. SMH

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doubt that red light is for fuel....
Where's your security fob???
You are correct. It was the oil pressure light. It stays on until the mortor is running. The issue was the neutral sensor. It would not start because it thinks it in gear when in fact it was in neutral. All good now. Thank you for you help.

· Registered
3,714 Posts
Damn @zimmbad , calm down just a tad bro. You came here looking for a little help and advice, and made statements that led us to believe that you aren't too familiar with your, or any, bike by mentioning that "red fuel light came on", (which doesn't exist), and "the battery seems to have a full charge", and then when one of the sharpestest guys here on this forum jumps in to try and help you because it appears that you aren't all that bike troubleshooting savey, and asks you to check a few things and then asks you some questions, and you do none of that, you get your panties in a wad when he asks why not. We don't KNOW what you KNOW when you first walk in the door here. We're just going by what you presented to us out of the gate, and it didn't appear that you knew that much about your bike. You can see that, right? You looked a little less than "a long time experienced bike mechanic". Don't get worked up man. There are a LOT of really sharp guys here and you were just dealing with one of the best and came at him with a shitty attitude. Hard to make friends and tap into all of this knowledge acting like that............ We accept "Do Overs" here tho, lol!

· Retired citizen
26,674 Posts
You are correct. It was the oil pressure light. It stays on until the mortor is running. The issue was the neutral sensor. It would not start because it thinks it in gear when in fact it was in neutral. All good now. Thank you for you help.
So how did you determine the neutral switch was at fault ? The info would be helpful for other members with a similar problem. (y)

· Registered
7,595 Posts
I was fixing an oil leak on my neighbors RG a few months ago and ran into the same problem. Started it, shut it off, looked at the area where the leak was, went to start it back up and nothing happened when I hit the starter button. Neutral light was on and I pulled the clutch and tried again - nothing. Moved the shift lever to first and back to neutral - nothing. Wiggled the shift lever in neutral and it started. It's been fine every since. Strange happenings on these sometimes.

Reactions: SCHMIDTY

· Retired citizen
26,674 Posts
It starts right up when I pull in the clutch lever.
OK got ya, ya threw a part at it best guess and got lucky ! Happens around here all the time except most don't get lucky after throwing $hundreds then start asking questions.
I ain't down on anybody trying to do their own fixin' and then asking for help, I was that person many years ago too !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts