Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess first of all, I'm new to this site. I've never written in any forum so not sure how this works. I hope I can get some ideas of what is causing my issue with my Harley. Hope I can find answers and ideas on this site. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The clutch is slipping when I am traveling down the road only in 5th gear. while driving and just giving gas to speed up the clutch will slip.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Welcome.

Has it been adjusted with a regular maintenance schedule? If not, it may just need to be adjusted. With typical use, a Harley clutch usually lasts a very long time.

It is helpful if you include miles, modifications, etc. that the bike has.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying. Guess I need to give details about situation.
The bike has been serviced every 5000 miles just like required. The bike has 47,000 miles on it.
I have taken it to the dealer right on schedule this entire time. I am riding out west for a big trip so I decided I would change the fluids myself for the first time. I researched it and read up on it. It appeared to me it would be OK to use Mobil 1 20/50 oil. After doing that is when the slipping started.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Adjusting the clutch is fairly straight forward... Just follow the procedure in the service manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only modifications to the bike was done when I purchased the bike new. Stage 1 kit and rush pipes put on from day one of owning it brand new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your input. I will do that. Just a little about me. Looks like that is in order. I'm retired from the Army...Infantry...This Harley was my retirement gift to myself. I never rode a street bike before this one. I've raced dirt bikes and snowmobiles in my younger years though.
Street bikes are a lot more nerve racking...people don't see you.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Thank you for your service... If you don't have the manual yet, I suggest you get one. Money well spent!

For now you can use the search upper left and you should find plenty on clutch adjustment.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not have a manual. I have been trying to find one to buy pn line but guess it may be best to purchase from the dealer.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,958 Posts
Thanks for replying. Guess I need to give details about situation.
The bike has been serviced every 5000 miles just like required. The bike has 47,000 miles on it.
I have taken it to the dealer right on schedule this entire time. I am riding out west for a big trip so I decided I would change the fluids myself for the first time. I researched it and read up on it. It appeared to me it would be OK to use Mobil 1 20/50 oil. After doing that is when the slipping started.
If your problem started here, I'd suggest draining the Mobil 1 and while there, do the adjustment procedure. Refill with a different lube. Since the HD Formula + is easy enough to get and known to work, try that and see if the slippage disappears or continues.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
FWIW, I have used the 20w50 V-twin synth oil from Mobile many times in my primary. I've never had any issues with it. It has worked well.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Infantryjoe, I tried Mobile 1 right after installing the SE clutch...no go she would slip and rev up in the higher gears...drained it and went back to HD Primary dino oil...no more slippage. She just wouldn't go on Mobile 1.

·
Registered
42,095 Posts
Those online versions are bootleg copies.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Used mobil 1 for years with 0 issues, put a little slack in the adjuster.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts