Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Ultra (with 118,000 miles) and last week it just starting running poorly, mostly at idle.. Running really rich at idle it almost burns your eyes with fuel vapors. Once riding it does not seem too bad. I am going to replace my plugs and wires this weekend but would anyone have any other things to look at? since the bike does not have individual injectors could it be the throttle body? or could it be the EMC? Though I like my dealer, I am trying to stay out of the dealership.....

Even though the bike has high mileage, its in great shape and runs great too (or did up until last week)

Thanks
Royce in NH

·
Retired citizen
22,897 Posts
I suggest cleaning the IAC pintle and port. Small hole inside the throttle body at the top. Spray carb cleaner or brake clean into the hole then cycle the ignition on and off until the spray runs clear. Verify the pintle moves when cycling the ignition.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried cleaning the IAC pintle and port and still running rich, I also checked the stored codes and had P0132 and P0152, front and rear O2 sensor rich... I did unplug the connectors, they looked clean and not corroded... Any ideas on what to tackle next?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,096 Posts
Doesn't have individual injectors?
What did the plugs you took out look like?
Any Mods not previously disclosed in the OP?

Maybe the head temp senor...

·
Just Ride
3,112 Posts
It does have individual injectors. I'd take a look for a intake leak. Mainly where throttle body meets heads.

·
Retired citizen
22,897 Posts
Tried cleaning the IAC pintle and port and still running rich, I also checked the stored codes and had P0132 and P0152, front and rear O2 sensor rich... I did unplug the connectors, they looked clean and not corroded... Any ideas on what to tackle next?
Did you verify that the pintle was moving in and out of the port ? Was it functioning when you looked ?
Those codes indicate a problem with the IAC. The O2 sensors are detecting to much oxy in the AFR and that's controlled by the IAC.
OR something is causing unburnt fuel mixture thru the combustion chamber. Maybe leaking intake seals allowing air to enter the manifold behind the throttle body. You can spray WD-40 around the seals with the engine at idle, any change in idle RPMs indicate seal leaks. Avoid spraying into the back of the AC, it'll fudge the test.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Have a hard time visualizing an intake leak causing a rich condition, they usually cause a lean problem. I would go with either, or both too much fuel or poor combustion. Have you ever run a fuel injector cleaner through it? If the injectors are gummed up and making a poor spray pattern or ar leaking between openings, some injector cleaner might help. It isn't very expensive and is worth a try before taking things apart. Sea Foam and Techron are popular. My preference is Berrymans Chemtool. You only have a 6 gallon tank so mix the cleaner as appropriate for 6 gallons. Poor combustion could also be from old, dirty spark plugs or failing ignition wires. You gave no history on the most recent plug change and what plugs you are using. How long since the air cleaner was cleaned or replaced? So far, your codes don't indicate anything more complicated or expensive. Things like a failing engine temp sensor or dirty MAP sensor may be contributing but you don't have codes for those...yet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had the bike at the dealer for tires and I had them look, they did a leakdown test and said I had about 20% leakdown on one and 30% on the other. The recommend a top end rebuild and then who knows what the bottom end looks like.. I took it back and will clean the injector more, the plugs were a not stellar but not bad, changed them anyway with no difference... and I did clean my air filter about 2 weeks ago..

I'll ride it til it breaks and rebuild it... (and ride on of my two Buells)

·
Retired citizen
22,897 Posts
IMO with the miles on your engine a top end rebuild isn't a major project, maybe just hone the cylinders and rering the pistons. At worst overbore the cylinders with new oversize pistons and rings. NOT a big deal !

Do not worry about the bottom end (crank and flywheels) unless they scissor and get outta balance, otherwise no problemo.

I like Buells ! I work on Buells too !

·
Just Ride
3,112 Posts
I got a 2010 RGC with FM 107 kit and 777 Wood's cams, it's got 106k on stock bottom end. Just added nitrous and it's hanging in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts