Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my 2011 Road King serviced at 115000 miles and the Tech said he heard a slight ticking noise at a certain RPM and believes that it is the cam chain tensioner. I heard this was an issue with the 99-06 TC engines, but not on the 07 and later TC engines. I asked him what the contact material was on the tensioner and he didn't know. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just had my 2011 Road King serviced at 115000 miles and the Tech said he heard a slight ticking noise at a certain RPM and believes that it is the cam chain tensioner. I heard this was an issue with the 99-06 TC engines, but not on the 07 and later TC engines. I asked him what the contact material was on the tensioner and he didn't know. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I never heard this was an issue with the 99-06 models which didn't have self tensioners like 07 and up do, and I never had an issue with my 01 Heritage Springer. I adjusted the tension on my 01 every time I serviced the bike. I've asked my local dealers how long the self adjusting tensioner shoes should last, and they didn't know…
The only way to look at the tensioner is to remove the primary cover being they did away with the inspection window because of the self tensioners. Sounds like your is worn and the ticking noise may be related to metal on metal.
Did they replace the tensioner???
BTW, all I hear is my primary chain going around the sprocket tensioner, and is makes a very low ticking noise, which is normal…its a triple row chain going around the gear, so it will make some noise.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I never heard this was an issue with the 99-06 models which didn't have self tensioners like 07 and up do, and I never had an issue with my 01 Heritage Springer. I adjusted the tension on my 01 every time I serviced the bike. I've asked my local dealers how long the self adjusting tensioner shoes should last, and they didn't know…
The only way to look at the tensioner is to remove the primary cover being they did away with the inspection window because of the self tensioners. Sounds like your is worn and the ticking noise may be related to metal on metal.
Did they replace the tensioner???
BTW, all I hear is my primary chain going around the sprocket tensioner, and is makes a very low ticking noise, which is normal…its a triple row chain going around the gear, so it will make some noise.
OP is asking about CAM chain tensioners, not primary chain.

·
Retired citizen
23,369 Posts
115000 miles? ! If that's the real miles I would surely have the cam tensioners checked.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a feeling this is a "one and done", but here's a pic. of my inner '07 tensioner @ 25k miles. Material seems to be a composite that yellows with exposure to oil.
I have 20K on my '07, but haven't looked at the primary tensioner yet because I have no signs of the bike having to much play in the chain such as surging/bucking at very low speeds, and bike goes in/out of gear and neutral fine.
So yours is pretty much done at 25K as far as what it looks like to you?
Did you have any signs of the tensioner being worn?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have 20K on my '07, but haven't looked at the primary tensioner yet because I have no signs of the bike having to much play in the chain such as surging/bucking at very low speeds, and bike goes in/out of gear and neutral fine.
So yours is pretty much done at 25K as far as what it looks like to you?
Did you have any signs of the tensioner being worn?
Thanks
Again, we are talking about CAM chain tensioners, not primary drive tesnioners. My "one and done" comment was to the original poster not coming back. I didn't realize it was only yesterday that he made his post. My tensioner is barely scuffed in at 25K miles and I won't be worried about it for a long time.
P.S. I said it was my inner tensioner, but my sharpie clearly shows it's my outte.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
I have a feeling this is a "one and done", but here's a pic. of my inner '07 tensioner @ 25k miles. Material seems to be a composite that yellows with exposure to oil.
I would venture to guess that heat may also play a role in discoloration.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Again, we are talking about CAM chain tensioners, not primary drive tesnioners. My "one and done" comment was to the original poster not coming back. I didn't realize it was only yesterday that he made his post. My tensioner is barely scuffed in at 25K miles and I won't be worried about it for a long time.
P.S. I said it was my inner tensioner, but my sharpie clearly shows it's my outte.
I'm stuck on stupid! Can't get the primary off my mind…sorry again. 1 more strike, I'm out!
It's good to know that at 25K there is no issues with the CAM TENSIONER.
See...I'm learning :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought it new with .6 miles on it and haven't had any problems with it yet. I commute 800 miles a week and it's been by far the best bike I've ever owned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I'm stuck on stupid! Can't get the primary off my mind…sorry again. 1 more strike, I'm out!
It's good to know that at 25K there is no issues with the CAM TENSIONER.
See...I'm learning :)
No strikes for you! Thin skin and/or lack of a sense of humor tend to be the big ones. You don't seem to suffer from either. :thumbsup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2011 Road King PM cycle

What's your pm schedule at 800 miles a week? And who is doing PM's...
Seems like this conversation shoulda happened 70,000 miles ago...
Something don't add up...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I get it serviced every 5k miles which is about every 6 to 7 weeks. I've had it serviced at the same HD dealership for the first 100,000 thousand miles and they never said anything about cam chain tensioners until now. The 105k service was done in San Diego & the 110k service in Los Angeles and each took it for a test ride after the service work was performed and made no mention of the cam chain tensioners. I've learned more on this site reading posted information than the HD service department has ever shared.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts