Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of a handlebar job where I extended the wires and cables. Got the bars on and connected all the wires and everything is working except the start switch. Inspected the wires and nothing is broken or pinched. Checked the battery and the fuses and all looks good. I did end up mis-aligning the ignition tumblers but I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with the start button not working. Any ideas what I could try?

·
Retired citizen
24,501 Posts
Do all electrics come on when the ignition switch is on ? Engine light on then off ?

·
Retired citizen
24,501 Posts
OK then try this test: On the starter unplug the green wire connector on the top of the starter. You'll need a 45° pick to unlock the connector from the starter. Poke the pick into the top of the connector then pull on the wire, it might take a couple tries. Leave the wire disconnected for the test.

Next use a jumper wire from the battery positive post to the starter connector, this should make the starter turn over. If the ignition is on the engine will start but the test is to just see if the starter will spin over. If the starter spins over there's a problem with the green wire and the green wire is the starter button on the handlebar.

The starter button goes to the starter relay then to the starter solenoid on the side of the starter. If the jumper wire spins the starter over then there's nothing wrong with the starter, it's the green wire to the button.

Simple !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.