Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my 2nd oil change on my bike. I can't figure out why removing the drain plug and filter only seems to drain about a quart of oil. Is it just me or is there another way to get the entire oil pan to drain? It confuses me that taking the drain plug off doesn't drain all of it!! Does it need to be leaning? I always have it straight up on a bike hoist.
Please help!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Oil pan is nonexistent. You have an oil tank. Where are you draining from?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Like dave said, it sounds like you removed the flush fitting allen plug from the crankcase. You should have a hose on the oil bag that drains it (2014's may be different, not a Softail guy).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only know I remove the plug that the owners manual says to remove. The one that sits between the rear shocks! Judging by your initial answers, there is another way I am supposed to drain it?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I only know I remove the plug that the owners manual says to remove. The one that sits between the rear shocks! Judging by your initial answers, there is another way I am supposed to drain it?

Are you running it prior to draining? How much are you adding to get to the fill line again?

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
Last time I changed a softtail I pulled the wrong plug (the one that says "never remove." This resulted in very little drainage and I could still see oil in the tank. Once I removed the right drain plug, the tank emptied.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The engine oil does not drain from the case. The transmission drains from the trans case, and the plug may be between the shocks. . The engine oil on a 2012 Fatboy drains from a hose that exits the right rear of the tank and ends down around the frame.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The engine oil does not drain from the case. The transmission drains from the trans case, and the plug may be between the shocks. . The engine oil on a 2012 Fatboy drains from a hose that exits the right rear of the tank and ends down around the frame.
Tell him what he's won, Bob!!

·
Slave to the grind
567 Posts
between the shocks is the transmission drain plug. The oil drain plug is bottom right rear of the frame below the oil tank. Look for and allen socket sitting just inside a protective ring.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
between the shocks is the transmission drain plug. The oil drain plug is bottom right rear of the frame below the oil tank. Look for and allen socket sitting just inside a protective ring.

If he's draining the one between shocks, that's (as stated) the trans plug. Which explains why he's only getting about a quart.....

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Which would also mean he's riding with a dry tranny.
Yep. Dry trannies whine. Transmissions with out lube do too.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,332 Posts
Doesn't it help to pull the cap off the top of the oil tank first? ? ?

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
Doesn't it help to pull the cap off the top of the oil tank first? ? ?

Not if you've got the wrong drain hole.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Lol.

Great thread to see..

I'm getting ready to attempt to do my own first oil change!

Then it painfully appears that just like in life, its about draining the hose, getting the right hole, proper lube use and not making trannies whine.

Who wudda thought?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts