Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Heritage Softtail
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed my bike in November, immediately after my dash quit working, everything else is fine. No speedometer, turn indicators, neutral indicator, no digital readout.
There was moisture under the speedometer glass, I removed the dash and used a blow dryer all around it, that cleared up the visible moisture. I’ve ridden a lot and had it sitting in the Texas sun. Still not working. I have a multimeter and ain’t scared to use it…..advise please.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
5 months and it's still not playing nice?
I would disconnect / inspect / clean and put a touch of dielectric grease on every friggin wire connection i could find!
Especially those under the seat and anywhere near the fuel tank.

Inspect for corrosion (powdery or discolored) on the pins and sockets). One of the connecters could have become separated during the wash. Adding a thin film of dielectric grease, (Use a q-tip or a small acid brush to apply inside the connections) will help seal the electrical nodes form the elements.

Never use a power washer, they are just asking for water intrusion. Not only electrical but also bearings seals and gaskets can get forced out of shape. I don't even put a garden sprayer on the hose when bathing the bikes. Just let it the hose trickle the soap off.

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
2012 Heritage Softtail
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5 months and it's still not playing nice?
I would disconnect / inspect / clean and put a touch of dielectric grease on every friggin wire connection i could find!
Especially those under the seat and anywhere near the fuel tank.

Inspect for corrosion (powdery or discolored) on the pins and sockets). One of the connecters could have become separated during the wash. Adding a thin film of dielectric grease, (Use a q-tip or a small acid brush to apply inside the connections) will help seal the electrical nodes form the elements.

Never use a power washer, they are just asking for water intrusion. Not only electrical but also bearings seals and gaskets can get forced out of shape. I don't even put a garden sprayer on the hose when bathing the bikes. Just let it the hose trickle the soap off.

·
Registered
2012 Heritage Softtail
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice, I did have the nozzle on a garden hose….. I focused more on the dash but under the seat is a hot tip. Dielectric should help keep moisture out. I was at the Harley shop yesterday, of course they want me to bring it in, pay 200 diagnostic, bla, bla. I can test components if I know what I’m looking for, downloaded the service manual for wiring schematic. Just thought someone had seen it before or knew how to test the individual items in the dash….apparently it’s pieced out not sold as a unit. I need to identify the issue not just throw pets at it….did I mention I HATE electronic diagnostics. Not more than coughing up 200+ denaro

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Good advice, I did have the nozzle on a garden hose….. I focused more on the dash but under the seat is a hot tip. Dielectric should help keep moisture out. I was at the Harley shop yesterday, of course they want me to bring it in, pay 200 diagnostic, bla, bla. I can test components if I know what I’m looking for, downloaded the service manual for wiring schematic. Just thought someone had seen it before or knew how to test the individual items in the dash….apparently it’s pieced out not sold as a unit. I need to identify the issue not just throw pets at it….did I mention I HATE electronic diagnostics. Not more than coughing up 200+ denaro
It's surprising that "most" electrical problems turn out to be mechanically corrected! (ie: loose, corroded or broken connections).

Electrics usually work at least, until the smoke gets out...

Reactions: JLR and Rustyscope

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I had that happen on my road king there is a part in there that fixes it. Cant think what its called but harley dealers usually stock it cause moisture takes them out. there 8- 105 dollars. google or look ar ronnies.

·
Registered
2012 Heritage Softtail
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had that happen on my road king there is a part in there that fixes it. Cant think what its called but harley dealers usually stock it cause moisture takes them out. there 8- 105 dollars. google or look ar ronnies.
I did some testing from the manual…..looks like I need a speedometer…..I’ll let y’all know when I get it replaced if that fixed everything or I’m throwing parts at it. 😂

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts
I just looked up my old post from 2011. Recall on BCM for water intrusion. OP might want to check into that at the H-D website, check the bike VIN in the owners section.
The BCM controls the speedo and related electronics.

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
2012 Heritage Softtail
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just looked up my old post from 2011. Recall on BCM for water intrusion. OP might want to check into that at the H-D website, check the bike VIN in the owners section.
I tested according to the service manual for power and ground going to the speedometer….yes that comes from the BCM. The manual says if it has power and ground but doesn’t work…replace speedometer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had that problem on my 2012 fatboy lo..turns out water got in the turn/hi beam/oil light indicators bezel...they short out and all you can do is replace it.
I had speedo and tach function tho.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I washed my bike in November, immediately after my dash quit working, everything else is fine. No speedometer, turn indicators, neutral indicator, no digital readout.
There was moisture under the speedometer glass, I removed the dash and used a blow dryer all around it, that cleared up the visible moisture. I’ve ridden a lot and had it sitting in the Texas sun. Still not working. I have a multimeter and ain’t scared to use it…..advise please.
I have a 2012 limited and lost the dash after a really bad rain , I took off the headlight and drove it for the day then replaced fuse been good since .

·
Registered
2012 Heritage Softtail
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered a speedometer per testing from the service manual, everything now works…..that being said, I read about a vin err if it had been on another bike, now I got that to overcome or return it. I bought it on eBay and I don’t believe it was supposed to be used. If I can fix it no big deal. If not I’ve at least identified the problem. Neutral light and turn indicators go through the speedometer as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's the "ECM", and you're right, it controls everything. I've a 2012 Fat boy lo, no speedo, gear indicator, odometer, tripmeter, etc., had it into the dealership, said it was all good, wtf?, still doesn't work. Can't find values for the speedo, volts, ohms, whatever, nor for the sensor on the back of the trans that tells the ECM what gear you're in, what speed you're travelling, it's a real pain in the ass.

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts
It's the "ECM", and you're right, it controls everything. I've a 2012 Fat boy lo, no speedo, gear indicator, odometer, tripmeter, etc., had it into the dealership, said it was all good, wtf?, still doesn't work. Can't find values for the speedo, volts, ohms, whatever, nor for the sensor on the back of the trans that tells the ECM what gear you're in, what speed you're travelling, it's a real pain in the ass.
The dealer has a special Harley tester for speedos, I'm not sure that aftermarket has a comparable tester either.

·
Registered
2012 Heritage Softtail
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My local dealer is telling me since my replacement speedometer has been married to a different bike it cannot be made to work with my bike. Hard to believe but if they don’t know how to do it….I’m stuck. I guess speak with dealers working my way out till I can find one. Surely a vin err is not that big a deal for them

·
Registered
2012 Heritage Softtail
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I went to a local bike shop that does a lot of custom work.
It appears a used speedometer can be married to another ecm. HOWEVER whichever has the higher mileage recorded in it….the ecm or replacement speedometer is the one that will become the bikes “NEW” mileage. Since the used one I got has 67,000 and my bike has 6,000 I’ll be returning it and buying a new one

1 - 20 of 20 Posts