Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks..Long story for a short problem...gotta say first that over the 2100+ miles we put on this past weekend, the scooter ran great.

However, my stock HK radio is out on my 2012 FLHTK. Story is, While riding in Tennessee this past Saturday, we got caught in some heavy rain. No problems yet. Parked the bike in friend's driveway while the festivities went on. When the ladies decided it was time to head back to the hotel, we got the bikes wiped down and powered up. Everything seemed to be fine except my radio started changing stations on its own. Up until this time, I hadn't even been using the radio except to play music through the aux port using my GPS as the source. But now, my aux port option was gone and the radio was stuck scanning stations. Everything else on the bike seemed fine. I turned the radio off and the backlight stayed on with the clock displayed. No problem there, that's normal.

We start riding and about a mile down the road I notice that I have no speedo and no tach, and the mileage display says something about a BUS FAILURE. I'm assuming at this point its referring to the communication bus for the dashboard. So I hit the hazards, they work fine, and pull into a parking lot. I shut everything down, wait a few seconds and then power the bike back up. Radio lights up, BUS FAILURE is gone off the display. Start the bike, still fine. Rev the engine, I have tach back. Start riding, I have speedo back. Awesome. Didn't bother with the radio because I was just worried about getting back to the hotel. I did unplug the aux cord and put the little rubber plug in the port though to prevent any more rain from getting in there.

The next morning I started the bike for the ride home and everything worked, except the radio. It didn't light up at all, no clock, no backlighting, nothing. Hit the ON button and still nothing. That was 3 days ago, and as of this morning, still nothing. Everything else on the bike is working fine; speedo, tach, mileage, signals, cruise, etc. Just no music all the way from Sweetwater, TN to Oshkosh, WI. Powered the bike up this morning after it sat in the garage overnight and still no radio.

At this point I have not pulled the seat and checked any fuses. That I'll do tonight or tomorrow. If everything looks fine there, I'll pull the front of the faring off and disconnect stuff and let it dry out a couple days. Beyond that, I assume I'm looking at a new stereo unless y'all got some magic electrical potion I can borrow.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hey folks..Long story for a short problem...gotta say first that over the 2100+ miles we put on this past weekend, the scooter ran great.

However, my stock HK radio is out on my 2012 FLHTK. Story is, While riding in Tennessee this past Saturday, we got caught in some heavy rain. No problems yet. Parked the bike in friend's driveway while the festivities went on. When the ladies decided it was time to head back to the hotel, we got the bikes wiped down and powered up. Everything seemed to be fine except my radio started changing stations on its own. Up until this time, I hadn't even been using the radio except to play music through the aux port using my GPS as the source. But now, my aux port option was gone and the radio was stuck scanning stations. Everything else on the bike seemed fine. I turned the radio off and the backlight stayed on with the clock displayed. No problem there, that's normal.

We start riding and about a mile down the road I notice that I have no speedo and no tach, and the mileage display says something about a BUS FAILURE. I'm assuming at this point its referring to the communication bus for the dashboard. So I hit the hazards, they work fine, and pull into a parking lot. I shut everything down, wait a few seconds and then power the bike back up. Radio lights up, BUS FAILURE is gone off the display. Start the bike, still fine. Rev the engine, I have tach back. Start riding, I have speedo back. Awesome. Didn't bother with the radio because I was just worried about getting back to the hotel. I did unplug the aux cord and put the little rubber plug in the port though to prevent any more rain from getting in there.

The next morning I started the bike for the ride home and everything worked, except the radio. It didn't light up at all, no clock, no backlighting, nothing. Hit the ON button and still nothing. That was 3 days ago, and as of this morning, still nothing. Everything else on the bike is working fine; speedo, tach, mileage, signals, cruise, etc. Just no music all the way from Sweetwater, TN to Oshkosh, WI. Powered the bike up this morning after it sat in the garage overnight and still no radio.

At this point I have not pulled the seat and checked any fuses. That I'll do tonight or tomorrow. If everything looks fine there, I'll pull the front of the faring off and disconnect stuff and let it dry out a couple days. Beyond that, I assume I'm looking at a new stereo unless y'all got some magic electrical potion I can borrow.
Use dielectric grease in every plug or switch .

Nothing should of been bothered by rain , but from what you have posted, it sounds like a plug is wet and shorting pins out . :dunno

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
You can check the fuse, but my guess is that water entered your aux port plug and fried the radio.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
Check for codes, the procedure is a sticky in the electrical section.
For radio codes hold any 2 buttons in while turning the ignition on, diagnostics will come up on the display.
At least that's how I remember it, I'm not at my shop right now so I can't check the book on the procedure. Might also be a sticky in the electrical section.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at that sticky for retrieving DTC's and it says that radio DTC's are displayed through the radio. Well, I'm thinking that's a problem since I have no radio display right now....no backlight, no clock, no nothing. But we'll give it a whirl tonight or tomorrow and see what I can find.

In the meantime, I'm out on craigslist trying to find someone who pulled their stock unit out to upgrade and wants to sell the original. May have found one around Milwaukee for about $250-275.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . In the meantime, I'm out on craigslist trying to find someone who pulled their stock unit out to upgrade and wants to sell the original. May have found one around Milwaukee for about $250-275.
Make sure it came out of an Ultra or Tri-Glide. If it came off a Street Glide or Classic, it won't be programmed for the rear speakers and comm system. Only the dealer can change it.

I'd at least consider sending yours to Iron Cross rather than buying another one -especially if it's the same money. You get a warranty with their repair, and you'll know you have a good unit. They go through them pretty well.

Plus they can add a lot additional features to the stereo if you want them to. Bluetooth, iPod cables, preamp outs, etc. Great company.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
Did you try downloading the update CD from the MoCo, it's at their website. I think there's a link someplace here in the search or stickys. I've got one at my shop but I'm not there right now.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
...all I can add is that I was in that storm with ol' HockeyDawg. It was a young flood.

I seen it coming before we even left Lynchburg and had my rain gear already on. I stopped and watched H-Dawg and crew pull theirs on underneath an overpass. It was right at dusk and we had about 20 miles left to our evening destination. HARD HARD rain.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And it gets worse. Pulled seat and side cover to check radio fuses. Looked good, but swapped them out anyway. Turned on ignition, no dash lights, headlights, radio, etc. Battery is almost dead. I have it on battery tender right now to see if she comes back. Something drained the battery in less than 48 hours.

·
The Extreme Member
1,477 Posts
I just sold my stock radio to a friend in Idaho, if I had known this thread was here I could have sold it to you

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think battery is shot. 10 hours on a battery tender and get lights now. But still not enough power to start bike. To be honest bike was starting hard the past week. That battery didn't make it three years for me. I'll take responsibility for a the short battery life as I know I waited longer than normal this winter to put the bike on a tender after putting it in storage.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . I'll take responsibility for a the short battery life as I know I waited longer than normal this winter to put the bike on a tender after putting it in storage.
I put mine on a tender year around.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, slight delay. Had the bike on the battery tender for more than 24 hours and then tested the voltage..... 11.03. Guess tomorrow I'm picking up a new battery before I get back to working on the radio.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
The low battery is most likely the problem with the radio. Radio is first to go when the battery or charging system is faulty, last to go is the ignition.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The low battery is most likely the problem with the radio. Radio is first to go when the battery or charging system is faulty, last to go is the ignition.
That would be awesome if that is all is it. I'd rather just pay for a battery than pay for a battery and a new stereo. I'll find out tonight.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good news... Bad news.... New battery cured general power issues. Bike starts and almost everything works.. Bad news, radio is the almost. Changed fuses and battery and still no radio.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
It's possible the radio puked but I would download the update CD and try that first, it's a free download from H-D's website.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts