Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently removed the mirrors off of the inner fairing. I am not replacing them. The original locations now has 2 holes on each side where the mirrors were located. I have searched all the normal places for a clean cap or cover to finish the inner fairing. Kariyaken has some fugly looking covers. Dk and J&P neither had what I was looking for. HD has nothing either.

I am thinking about trying to do some plastic welding but I don't want to KO the inner fairing.

I was thinking about putting a wooden dowel in the holes and painting it black to match but I don't know.

I am open to any ideas or alternate supply shops for a cap or cover to blank those holes over.

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went to Lowes and got several types of auto style plastic plugs. The kinds with the barbs on the end. Had to do a bit of trimming but plugged nicely. Will post a pic in a while once I get home.

·
Retired citizen
22,094 Posts
True Value hdwr has a huge assortment of black plastic hole plugs that would work very well.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Instead of wood, maybe some aluminum dowel that you could sand to diameter maybe cone shaped so it dropped in and wedged itself in. Then paint the top, super glue the edge and slide it in the hole until it's flush. It could be tapped out if needed in the future.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I put taller bars on mine and it positioned my hands right in front of the stock mirrors.

·
IAFF local 845
1,909 Posts
I took mine off too. I've had them off and on a couple times. I changed my bars to Wild 1 575's and basically can't see a thing except my hands in the stock mirrors. I like the look of the stock mirrors, but I changed out to handlebar mounted ones and am much happier. I did the plugs from Home Depot too and they worked fine in the stock inner fairing. When I added a painted inner fairing I ordered it without the holes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts