Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Im new to the forum but have learned quickly with anything when you have a problem the best place to start is here...looking for some help with the following codes:

P0374 - CKP Sensor Synch Error
P0562 - Battery Voltage Low

I hadnt ridden her in 5 or 6 weeks but decided to take it off the trickle charger and go out. When i went to start it there was a lot of hesitation and trouble but the trickle charger was showing green before disconnect. Eventually it turned over after 1 or 2 seconds. Specifically it would crank hard once, pause then fire.

I stopped a few places and every time i went to start it the same thing happened. On the ride back the CEL came on and the red battery light. Pulled the codes and had the above. So i went and picked up a battery from the local store and installed it. Fired right up and fired up fast and clean...but right after the CEL came on for a second, and then shut off. I checked the codes, and the same ones came up.

The bike has been hesitant turning over it seems since I installed some LED lights but I have since disconnected them to rule out that. other than that it has a heavy breather on it with vance and hines big radius. Factory tune. No other mods.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
You have a bad battery. The codes will be funny when the battery is bad. You can bench charge the battery and load test it, but what you describe is a classic case of bad battery. Check all the connections, both ends of both battery cables, with a known fully charged battery check the charging system. If all is well, replace the battery, rest code and you should be good to go. ( The green light on a battery tender is just a sign the tender is no longer charging and is in standby mode.) Most of the time it means the battery is OK, but certain failure modes of batteries fool it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a bad battery. The codes will be funny when the battery is bad. You can bench charge the battery and load test it, but what you describe is a classic case of bad battery. Check all the connections, both ends of both battery cables, with a known fully charged battery check the charging system. If all is well, replace the battery, rest code and you should be good to go. ( The green light on a battery tender is just a sign the tender is no longer charging and is in standby mode.) Most of the time it means the battery is OK, but certain failure modes of batteries fool it.
Thank you for the quick response Bobf. It definitely had more "umpf" when the new battery went in. I put the old 2011 factory battery back in and tried starting it 4 or 5 times. It worked great at first but toward the 4th attempt it started to hesitate and fail. I think I'll keep the new battery!

Do you think the codes are still being thrown after startup for a charging system issue or potentially something else? What on the charging system should I check aside from the alternator?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Did you check the charging system? Sounds as if it might not be charging. Before going futher, bench charge the battery, and test the charging system. There are lots of stickies about charging tests.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do!

I just got back from a short 30 mile ride and it seemingly has gone away...Fingers crossed, but I am hoping it stays like this.

If the computer stores a DTC will the CEL flash at start up like I am seeing even if the error isn't currently exhibited? I saw the sticky on DTC codes but it didnt explicitly call that out it seems.

For now though 5 warm startups in a row with the fuel pump engaging the bike was error free...fingers crossed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts