Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to sell my 2000 FLHT for something lighter and easier to handle. I like the looks of both the XL Custom and the Switchback. I'm a mostly solo rider with most of my road trips being 500 miles, occasionally a bit longer. I would fit the Sportster with the Harley rigid bags and a windscreen. Which would be the choice for most of you folks?? Just looking for pro's and cons of each bike.....thanks!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
SpoRtsTeR

:bowrofl:

·
Registered
174 Posts
As a owner of a 2012 XL1200C/P Sporty I would recomend not going with this bike for the simple reason there is a very limited amount of bolt on accessories for this bike.
I do not know about the Switchback modle.

However the 2012 XL1200C/P is a very fun bike to ride, very responcive to the throttle, and I have been able to get 50mpg when rideing sensible.

·
Banned
366 Posts
hmmm... you ask this on a sportster page?
depends on your tastes man in any event the oldman greybeards will turn their noses up at both the sportster & Dyna thats a given.
the Dyna is the bike u get when your hellbent on a big twin but cant afford it. downside is the aftermarket customizing potential is limited.
most manufacturers concentrate on the sportster & the geezer glides cuz these 2 harley sectors spends the most $$$ on customizing the sportster has alot more chopper options at the ready 4 cheap cuz the chopper shops not being fools across the board have recognised sportster owners over any other harley will chop like a MFR.
the geezer glides spend 1000's to simply try to shave a few yrs off how old they look riding it BTW none of it helps lol

·
Just Ride
3,204 Posts
hmmm... you ask this on a sportster page?
depends on your tastes man in any event the oldman greybeards will turn their noses up at both the sportster & Dyna thats a given.
the Dyna is the bike u get when your hellbent on a big twin but cant afford it. downside is the aftermarket customizing potential is limited.
most manufacturers concentrate on the sportster & the geezer glides cuz these 2 harley sectors spends the most $$$ on customizing the sportster has alot more chopper options at the ready 4 cheap cuz the chopper shops not being fools across the board have recognised sportster owners over any other harley will chop like a MFR.
the geezer glides spend 1000's to simply try to shave a few yrs off how old they look riding it BTW none of it helps lol

He also posted on the Dyna section. I know guys who have spent thousands of dollars trying to get their sportster to look like a big twin.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I'd go with the Dyna Switchback. You get everything you need for touring and the big v-twin. You can't lose. I might get ripped for this statement but my Dyna handles way better than the sporty did and is s pleasure to ride on the super slab.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I asked this here because I'm a serious Sportster fan.(And a greybeard!) I've made many 500 + mile trips on my 2002 XL883R so I'm used to how they ride.(Also have an'06 Roadster). The Switchback kinds interests me because of the whole "baby bagger" look, plus it'll be much lighter than my FLHT. Even with a Memphis Shades Batwing on it! The new Sportster Custom is even lighter and with the Harley rigid bags and a Memphis shades batwing would be very similar to the Dyna I would think, not to mention approx. 4000$ less expensive!! I'm a bit vertically challenged(short) and the old knees aren't what they used to be!!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Well, I asked this here because I'm a serious Sportster fan.(And a greybeard!) I've made many 500 + mile trips on my 2002 XL883R so I'm used to how they ride.(Also have an'06 Roadster). The Switchback kinds interests me because of the whole "baby bagger" look, plus it'll be much lighter than my FLHT. Even with a Memphis Shades Batwing on it! The new Sportster Custom is even lighter and with the Harley rigid bags and a Memphis shades batwing would be very similar to the Dyna I would think, not to mention approx. 4000$ less expensive!! I'm a bit vertically challenged(short) and the old knees aren't what they used to be!!
I'm confused. You have a rubbermount roadster why buy another sporty??
You can't have enough sporties in my book but really, get the switchback and you have the best of all worlds!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
366 Posts
hmmm if your short both the Dyna & Sportster ride high man, most short guys either get a softail or hardtail a Sportster cuz them 2 have the lowest riding height. sounds like your needing a softail so ou can comfortably plant your feet man.

yeah the batwing trip huh them are good for putting on a stereo n breaking the wind but them batwings are probably the biggest reason they call geezer glides well geezer glides sum about em just makes you look 25yrs older for sum reason.

·
Registered
172 Posts
hmmm if your short both the Dyna & Sportster ride high man, most short guys either get a softail or hardtail a Sportster cuz them 2 have the lowest riding height. sounds like your needing a softail so ou can comfortably plant your feet man.

yeah the batwing trip huh them are good for putting on a stereo n breaking the wind but them batwings are probably the biggest reason they call geezer glides well geezer glides sum about em just makes you look 25yrs older for sum reason.
My wife is 5-1 and 90lbs and rides a Switchback with no problem, she is also 66YO.

·
Banned
366 Posts
3dogs ummm you seem to have a personal stake in this persons decision :think

notice i never said "get the sportster" or "dont get the dyna" , im a straightup dude man so he got some straight goods answers to his question, if u take offence it wasnt intended just blunt truth man.

he also posted this question to your Dyna forum yet you feel compelled/driven to lobby the dude on the sportster forum? i checked your page & none of us are stalking over there man... :ughwerd:

in any event i woudnt buy neither, id buy a used sportster engine & a custom frame captain america style (softail if i was hardcore riding it) & use the coin to build me a real custom harley.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
you do realize by the time you buy the batwing fairing, the rigid saddlebags, and have them painted to match you would be literally within 1,000-2,000 of the switchback right? As much as I love sporty's why spend nearly $14-15 grand on a sporty? Not dissing sporty's I just think practical and I would say for that type of investment you would be better off w/ a switchback.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't get all worked up guys, I'm just looking for ideas! Rezchug...I appreciate your honesty!! Anyway you all make good points. The Switchback is cool but geez, the price!! Even a used 2012 will set me back 15K. A 2012 Sporty Custom is 9500$, plus add the Harley leather covered rigid bags( 699 new,cheaper online) and the Memphis Shades fairing(about 400) . So I'm still well under the Switchback price. At 15K you're in the range of a used Heritage softail with all the bells and whistles it comes with......but then you're back into the size/weight thing I'm looking to move away from. . The Sporty bagger idea really intrigues me. Sharp looking and unique!! And unlike everyone else's ride! :bike-038:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well..If I already had a sporty I wouldn't be looking to buy another one. I don't see the point. Saying that you sometimes ride up to 500 miles pretty much means you are spending the night somewhere. Unless that is there and back, but that is a pile of miles not to stick around for the day. The extra capacity of the switchback would be very benificial IMO for those rides.

For what it's worth I have a Super Glide with solid mounted bags. I bought my bike for a number of reasons, and it wasn't all because I didn't want to spend anymore money than I did. It's the same basic bike size wise as the switchback. I wanted a bike I could take a day trip on and be "fairly" comfortable if I decided to do that. I also wanted to be able to haul 2 up without changing all kinds of suspension parts.

My buddy has a 1200 Sportster that he made lots of changes to make to more comfortable. He loves his bike, but it certainly has limitations. Capacity is the biggest one. Before he swapped out the rear shocks..as he said..it road like a brick.

Me personally...I didn't want to have to mess around making a bunch of changes to a brand new bike. I had a hard enough time justifying the cost of a new bike let alone all the changes that came afterward.

·
Registered
172 Posts
3dogs ummm you seem to have a personal stake in this persons decision :think

notice i never said "get the sportster" or "dont get the dyna" , im a straightup dude man so he got some straight goods answers to his question, if u take offence it wasnt intended just blunt truth man.

he also posted this question to your Dyna forum yet you feel compelled/driven to lobby the dude on the sportster forum? i checked your page & none of us are stalking over there man... :ughwerd:

in any event i woudnt buy neither, id buy a used sportster engine & a custom frame captain america style (softail if i was hardcore riding it) & use the coin to build me a real custom harley.
He also posted on the Dyna pages, I just replied on the Sportster forum, no need to reply twice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts