Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to sell my 2000 FLHT for something lighter and easier to handle. I like the looks of both the XL Custom and the Switchback. I'm a mostly solo rider with most of my road trips being 500 miles, occasionally a bit longer. I would fit the Sportster with the Harley rigid bags and a windscreen. Which would be the choice for most of you folks?? Just looking for pro's and cons of each bike.....thanks!

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Most people are going to tell you to ride them both and decide but here is my 2 cents:

You would be much more comfortable on those 500 mile trips on the Switchback. You will like the 6 speed transmission compared to the Sporty's 5 speed. The Switchback already comes with color matched bags and a windshield already so just spend the extra little bit and get the better stuff. Twin Cam, 6 speed, factory bags and windshield, bigger framed bike, more comfortable. They handle like a dream too.

-Rohan

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Go with the SwitchBack. If you are moving from an FLHT a Sportster will kill you on 500 mile trips.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Sportsters have sport in their name for a reason. They are lighter, more nimble and smaller frame. Makes for a fun curve carver. But as far as the long hauls, get the switch back. Its got what i believe to be the better setup. Bigger motor, better trans, already have bags and windshield. And the weight and frame size will make it handle and ride better.

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
Most people are going to tell you to ride them both and decide but here is my 2 cents:

You would be much more comfortable on those 500 mile trips on the Switchback. You will like the 6 speed transmission compared to the Sporty's 5 speed. The Switchback already comes with color matched bags and a windshield already so just spend the extra little bit and get the better stuff. Twin Cam, 6 speed, factory bags and windshield, bigger framed bike, more comfortable. They handle like a dream too.

-Rohan
Go with the SwitchBack. If you are moving from an FLHT a Sportster will kill you on 500 mile trips.
Yep. +1

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I believe the Sporty vibrates more that the Switchback & the Switchback is defiantly not a smooth vibration free ride !
I will be the first to admit , the Dyna's have too much vibration and if yours doesn't , just wait , it will !

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I believe the Sporty vibrates more that the Switchback & the Switchback is defiantly not a smooth vibration free ride !
I will be the first to admit , the Dyna's have too much vibration and if yours doesn't , just wait , it will !
That's the second or third post you've made recently about an over vibrating Dyna. You might want to check out the thread if you haven't already.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61522

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Thanks-a-million Wrgiacona !
Have printed this out & will hand to local stealer ship service manager .
After replacing stock module with DYNA-TEC something changed causing shaking & ruff vibration .

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Thanks-a-million Wrgiacona !
Have printed this out & will hand to local stealer ship service manager .
After replacing stock module with DYNA-TEC something changed causing shaking & ruff vibration .
Glad I could help but from what you just wrote it sounds like you have another problem altogether.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts