Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 2012 Tri Glide that was not charging the battery. He assumed the battery was bad and replaced it but he found the the problem remained. This is where I got involved. We checked the voltage regulator and the output was within range but would occasionally drop very low. We then unplugged the Stator from the voltage regulator and checked it with a multimeter and there was no indication of open leads or excessive resistance. We also checked the voltage output of the stator and at idle, it was putting out 17 volts, so we replaced the regulator. Problem remained. Our next step was to check the voltage output of the stator again and this time revved the engine up to 2k and the output fluctuated greatly and then went to OL on the meter so we assumed we had the culprit. We then replaced the stator and the problem remained. Is it possible that when we replaced the regulator, a bad stator fried the new regulator?

·
Retired citizen
25,593 Posts
My friend has a 2012 Tri Glide that was not charging the battery. He assumed the battery was bad and replaced it but he found the the problem remained. This is where I got involved. We checked the voltage regulator and the output was within range but would occasionally drop very low. We then unplugged the Stator from the voltage regulator and checked it with a multimeter and there was no indication of open leads or excessive resistance. We also checked the voltage output of the stator and at idle, it was putting out 17 volts, so we replaced the regulator. Problem remained. Our next step was to check the voltage output of the stator again and this time revved the engine up to 2k and the output fluctuated greatly and then went to OL on the meter so we assumed we had the culprit. We then replaced the stator and the problem remained. Is it possible that when we replaced the regulator, a bad stator fried the new regulator?
Sounds like the rotor is the culprit. Low or fluctuating AC volts is a symptom of a faulty rotor, maybe stripped shaft splines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem solved. The new regulator we replaced was bad. We rechecked the stator for grounds and voltage output and all was good. Checked the new regulator and it tested bad. Replaced the new regulator with the old one, started up the bike and the battery was charging at 13 to 14 volts and the gauge on the bike was reading 14 volts at idle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts