Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
gorilla glue tuff
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike, a 2012 wide glide with 6500 miles in the morning was slow to turn over, but after a ride to work with some highways I turn it off, then Fire it back up and It turns right over. I come out after work and it's slow to turn over again. I ride to the gym which is about .2 miles away and when I come out after my work out and it almost doesn't start at all. Then I ride home, park it for the night and put it on a tender... Same thing the next day, super slow to start and so on. Seems like it only wants to turn over normal after a decent ride and when it's warm.

I thought it was the battery so I bought a new one and had them charge it to 100% overnight, picked it up and it fired right up first thing in the morning no problems. After a 3 hour ride on my weekend I parked it, no tender this time. Come out Monday morning (today) and it almost won't start to go to work and repeats everything in the first paragraph the old battery did.

I've shot all 3 stator pins to each other and to ground. All checks good. I put the meter on the battery and get 12.8 at the batt with the bike off, start it and get 14.22 then rev it to 2-3k rpm and it goes to 14.3 tops. Regulator and stator checks good and the charging system is fine from what I can tell. I go through all grounds. All grounds are tight and clean, no corrosion, kinks, cuts, or loose nuts.

Recently I internally wired a set of 14" apes. Went through today and pulled the wires to see if one was grounding out. Waist of a day because not one had bare wire touching anything.

I'm about fed up with this thing. I bought a bike brand new because I was tires of wrenching on my old super glide and now I'm wishing I would have kept that old p.o.s. At least it had an excuse to break.

The only other thing I can think I is a weak starter... Anyone ever have a similar issue, and what was your fix?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
Does you kick stand have wiring to the clutch to prevent start in gear. If crossed it could drain the battery. Seen that before.
Is there something in the handlebar controls that could have gotten crossed?
Seems something is on since it appears to be a slow drain.

I am guessing with you. Good luck.

·
gorilla glue tuff
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does you kick stand have wiring to the clutch to prevent start in gear. If crossed it could drain the battery. Seen that before.

Is there something in the handlebar controls that could have gotten crossed?

Seems something is on since it appears to be a slow drain.

I am guessing with you. Good luck.

It doesn't have wiring on the kickstand and nothing is crossed in the bars. All lights and hand controls work as they should. The problem didn't happen immediately after the bar swap. I started a few weeks later (last week).

·
gorilla glue tuff
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also it forgot to add that I looked for something grounding out my pulling the positive battery terminal, taking a single filament bulb in the socket, hooking one wire end up to the positive battery terminal and the other wire end to the actual positive battery cable on my bike and the light didn't come on at all.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,116 Posts
I think MD nailed it, you've got a draw someplace. I hate electrical gremlins. To confirm this, I know its a PIA but how about disconnecting the battery when not in use, then reconnect, see if the battery holds up?? Just thinking out loud, good luck.

·
Retired citizen
23,859 Posts
I would test the miliamp draw between the battery negative post and the negative cable.
Also check the wire harness that crosses over the top of the trans front to back. Check under the harness for abrasions or bare spots.

·
gorilla glue tuff
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went out and started the bike today after letting it sit on the tender all night as it fired right up. I shut it back off plugged it in and got ready for work. Half hour later it started the same as usual. On the ride in I put the display I my power Vision to the battery and it read 14.2 to 14.5 the whole ride. Shut the bike off when I got here and it's sitting at 12.5. We'll see what it's at when I go outside later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts