Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XL1200 is equiped with a 4.5 gal fuel tank according to the owners manual and on line specs.
However the low fuel warning light comes on at aprox 127 miles, when I stop and fule up I can only fit 2.7 gal fuel into the tank.

Called dealership and questiond them on this and was told that it was normal to come on at that point when having a 4 gal tank.

I refered to the mamual, they informed me that due to the fuel pickup location in the tank I only have 4 gals of usable gas befor sputtering to a stop.

Has anyone else heard of this?
Is this normal?

Or is my dealer ship just trying to get out of adjusting the low fuel modual inside the tank?

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
My XL1200 is equiped with a 4.5 gal fuel tank according to the owners manual and on line specs.
However the low fuel warning light comes on at aprox 127 miles, when I stop and fule up I can only fit 2.7 gal fuel into the tank.

Called dealership and questiond them on this and was told that it was normal to come on at that point when having a 4 gal tank.

I refered to the mamual, they informed me that due to the fuel pickup location in the tank I only have 4 gals of usable gas befor sputtering to a stop.

Has anyone else heard of this?
Is this normal?

Or is my dealer ship just trying to get out of adjusting the low fuel modual inside the tank?
I'm going with the last option. That being said, the efi fuel pump in the tank does take up some volume in the tank.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
The tank is 4 1/2 gal. however with the fuel pump inside the liquid is reduced to 4 gal. The pump takes up almost 1/2 gallon.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
The tank is 4 1/2 gal. however with the fuel pump inside the liquid is reduced to 4 gal. The pump takes up almost 1/2 gallon.
Really a whole half gallon? Wow...
I thought it was more like .2 gallons.

That means the 3.3 is really 2.8

Guess I am glad to have a carb model! I can put 3.3 almost exactly into it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
141 Posts
My 1200L had the 4.5 gallon tank and I could run with any other bike on the road. As long as I knew what my mileage was, and it was ALWAYS 42 in he city and 52 on a putt, I never needed the light. At least your tank isn't one of those little "peanut" tanks that can't get you out of town!:bike-038: The Sportster is a GREAT bike!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the bike scheduled to go into the shop on the 12th of July, hopefully they can adjust it so it dont come on every 127 miles or 2.7 gals of gas used up.
This has been a constant since I purchased the bike last fall.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No side car, no saddle bags.
Average ride for me 250 miles per day on weekends
Daily ride to work and home again is 67 miles round trip.
Very anoying to have fuel light come on early when there is enough gas to make another 67 mile round trip to work before needing to fill up again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts