Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Trying to change the oil / filter on my new /used 2013 Ultra Limited 103 and I cannot remove the oil filter due to a " 90 degree " wire just before the filter. How do I remove the wire and what is it used for ???

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
That is the crankshaft position sensor. It's easily removed by the bolt next to it, but not recommended. It's important. There's many different approaches/tools to get the filter off. Some drive a screwdriver through it (messy). I use a strap wrench that cost about $10, available everywhere. Hand tighten the new one, and you should not have a problem the next time. It sounds like some one put an extra long Evo Dyna filter on your bike. I have at least 1 1/2" between filter and plug.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hey guys,

Trying to change the oil / filter on my new /used 2013 Ultra Limited 103 and I cannot remove the oil filter due to a " 90 degree " wire just before the filter. How do I remove the wire and what is it used for ???

Why do you need to remove the wire ???

Are you trying to use an "end cap wrench'' , if so, you have to either cutout a section of rim on it , or buy one already cutout . A strap wrench will work to loosen the filter also, once broken loose, remove wrench and spin-out by hand . :smile

·
Registered
921 Posts
Next oil change, try the K&N oil filter with a "nut" on the end which allows a socket on an extension to install and remove the filer with ease. Chrome or black.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey guys,

I have had no problem wiggling a metal filter wrench over the filter to remove it.
However the EASIEST way is simply go to Harley Dealer (or online) and buy the HD oil filter wrench, for a few bucks, you will be set for life. The HD oil filter wrench has a cutout so not to interfere with that sensor.

No reason to buy a K&N filter when the HD filter is such a good filter and one I prefer (not that it means anything) *L*.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts