Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to the forum. Ive been lurking around for a couple weeks. Ive owned a couple Harley's in past, a 1999 Softail Custom and a 2005 Heritage, and now I'm shopping around for a new bike and I was hoping ya'll could help me out. My wife will probably ride with me about 20% of the time, other than that, I'll be riding by myself. I'm torn between a Street Glide and Road Glide. I'vee been to several dealers looking. So far the best deal I have been able to get on a 2013 is $20,300 for a Road Glide or Street Glide in the denim black without the security and ABS option. Basically they took off the dealer fees and are selling it at MSRP. What prices are you seeing? What should I expect to pay?

What are the differences between the Street and Road Glide besides the fairing? I will probably buy a tour pack down the road, are the mounting features the same on both bikes? Will the same tour pack fit either bike?

Thanks for the help.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
The fairing will make a big difference on the roadglide, as its fixed to the frame and will not transfer any wind to the front tire. I believe the seat height and bars are a bit different and the shocks on the road glide are taller then the street. Test ride both and see how you like them. Also if your thinking of adding a tourpack later, why not get the roadglide ultra to begin with?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Test ride both.

Like 2010hdultra said, if you are planning on buying the tour pack later, it's more economical to buy the RG Ultra, and buy the quick detach kit, than it is the other way around.

But yes, a tour pack is a tour pack, it will fit either. But remember, they are going to get you for the tour pack, the backrest pad, the mount, the paint, etc..

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Welcome abaord.

Test ride both.

Like 2010hdultra said, if you are planning on buying the tour pack later, it's more economical to buy the RG Ultra, and buy the quick detach kit, than it is the other way around.

But yes, a tour pack is a tour pack, it will fit either. But remember, they are going to get you for the tour pack, the backrest pad, the mount, the paint, etc..
Some wise words there..

Get a bike that comes with everything,and take off what ya don't want on all the time. WAAYYY cheaper !!!!

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
Just to expand on what others are saying, the other option from getting a RG Ultra is, if you prefer the look of the Street Glide over the Road Glide (which many do), then go with an Ultra Classic and quick disconnects on the tour pack. They do still gig you extra for security/abs on the UC, however, which I think is pretty lame.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Get the bike with everything, it will cost less, period. As pretty as the Street glide is, it's better to have extra stuff and not need it then to need extra stuff and not have it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I prefer the Road Glide custom and Street glide because I dont like the look of the chrome trim and bumpers on the fenders and bags. Also I dont like the lower leg fairings. I have looked online and I can get a used touring pack for $400 -$500. Get it painted to match and be good to go. I think that might be the best route for me since the packs fit either bike. What about pricing? What can I expect to pay?

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
expect to pay MSRP.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
what dealer is that? I need to give him a call

·
Registered
490 Posts
I bought a 2013 Road Glide two weeks ago.The color is vivid black with silver pinstripes.It has cruise.security & Abs. I paid 20.500

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I went to two dealers to get quotes and both came off the sticker a little. Basically they reduced the price of the bike enough to cover their dealer fees. I can get a 2013 Road Glide out the door for $22,000. MSRP is $20,300. Basically Im paying MSRP + tax title and license. Im thinking they could do better.
Perhaps they could, but they are not under any obligation to.

Every dealer is different. You never know what sort of considerations of their end that may be impacting the deal. Cash flow, credit issues, quotas, whatever. This is why you might get a better deal one day than you do the next. It is the nature of the business. Plus, if you trade, buy more accessories, warranty, etc., the more room they have to fudge the numbers to make you feel like you are getting a better deal.

If you are not happy with the best price you can negotiate, try another dealer. There are lots of them. But, it is their prime time season right now. You are probably going to pay more than you would any other time of year.

I also wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on the specific prices others paid on this forum. Somebody is always going to get a better deal for one reason or another. Plus, buying a Harley is a lot like fishing. I'll just leave it at that.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
that is funny misterB

1 - 20 of 20 Posts