Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, first time poster long time lurker... So i decided to buy a 2014 fat bob and i absolutely love it... put the arlen ness big sucker air filter and two brothers comp s exhaust on there (sounds AWESOME) ... my only gripe would be when i had it dyno (Screaming eagle super tuner) tuned it had to go back twice because of excessive decel pop...

The dyno tuner tech added some fuel to 0% throttle and it seemed to take away the pop pretty damn good... just seems like when im in 2nd and 3rd gear now i get a small surge/burp (even at steady throttle... rpms low or high regardless)

Im also burning a lot of gas... seems like i only get a max of high 20s mpg and thats not beating the piss out of the machine either... i only have 855 miles on it so far... is this something that will get better with time? sorry for all the questions... just trying to de-stress myself by asking people who actually may know... tried doing research but cant find exactly what im looking for. Take care folks and thanks for your time!

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Fuel economy will get better, but high 20s is pretty extreme for a stage 1 Twin Cam -- especially a light Dyna. I get 35 on my Ultra riding like like I stole it and weighing 270.

I have a stage 1 tune with enrichment as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Seems like the tuner didn't do so great....I also have a fat bob with similar mods and only a small amount of popping on decel but it doesn't so much bother me...When I go back for cams I'm gonna talk to them about it but for your bike it sounds like it needs to be re-mapped to solve those issues....

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I think I would find a different mechanic! Whatever he's doing is certainly wrong. Go elsewhere! You'll trash the rings and dilute the oil running that rich.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
my new 103(from a 96) with cams and oversize intakes gets 48 plus

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm guessing that the dealer did the dyno. A dyno is only as good as the operator and really good tuners can be hard to find. There's something wrong with your tune. Take it back and have them try again, unless they're going to charge you for screwing up what they did.
If they won't redo it, or want you to pay for it, do some research and find out who specializes in the SEST and take it there. A good dyno guy will do wonders for your motor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey all thanks for the quick replies and helpful advice - monday i am bringing the bike back in to get it checked out and dyno tuned further... besides what ive told everyone here... is there anything else i should mention to him? i honestly dont know how the whole dyno tuning process goes... just that its "suppose" to make your bike run better and what not. Thanks folks!

·
High Plains Beast
37 Posts
Various tuners

I have the same bike but went a little different route in the end. V&H Breather and Pro Pipe, Bob Woods 575 Gear Driven Cams and a bunch of other goodies. When I started out though, I had a lot of decel pop until I installed an Auto-Tune from DynaJet to complement the Power Commander5. All the sudden, no more pop! Not sure how your bike is doing now but you might consider looking in the direction.

Best of luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts