Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have been wanting to install a full exhaust upgrade on my 2014 FatBoy Lo...How long will it take? Does a shop need to do it? Do I need anything else or just the pipes?

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
A moderate amount of mechanical ability (and experience), and basic hand tools are all that is required to install a quality exhaust system on a bike it was designed for. A couple of the critical points are in breaking loose the nuts that hold the pipes to the head without snapping the studs and gradual/sequential tightening of the whole new system to ensure there are no leaks or undue stress put on mounts. Common sense rules here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A moderate amount of mechanical ability (and experience), and basic hand tools are all that is required to install a quality exhaust system on a bike it was designed for. A couple of the critical points are in breaking loose the nuts that hold the pipes to the head without snapping the studs and gradual/sequential tightening of the whole new system to ensure there are no leaks or undue stress put on mounts. Common sense rules here.
Great. I have asked this same question to some friends that do routine work and they all advised to take it to a shop. No thank you. You are the third person from this forum and another to say just use common sense...thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Aside from normal hand tools, you should have a torque wrench for the exhaust flange nuts, calibrated in in/lbs. If you don't have one in ft/lbs. you should get one as well for other work on the bike. Also, some type of crow's foot or offset wrench for the oxygen sensors. You can get these for under $15.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aside from normal hand tools, you should have a torque wrench for the exhaust flange nuts, calibrated in in/lbs. If you don't have one in ft/lbs. you should get one as well for other work on the bike. Also, some type of crow's foot or offset wrench for the oxygen sensors. You can get these for under $15.
Awesome, thanks for the advice!!! Will purchase torque wrench immediately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts