Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
need mods
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been here for a while and don't post much. I have done a lot of reading
and talked with a few owners.
I have a 2014 Fatboy Lo and love it. Most of the older riders have told me the bike needs to be modded from stock to run optimately. That an "outta' the box" Harley is "choked".
No it doesn't have the power of my Sport Bike, but does one need to make some mods to presrve engine life or will it go 30 years outta' the box with no mods? Mine is an Amber Whiskey and heavy chrome and I want to preserve the look.
Just trying to learn.

Thx ahead!

·
Asylum Inmate
11,742 Posts
I have a 2012 flstfb.

I ride two up with gear a lot. Probably 75 percent of the time.

I opened the stock exhaust up a little with Rush slip ons. K&N in the stock housing for air.

Then I put on Xieds to rich it up a little. They work well.

The other option is a tuner to rich it up a little.

I just did not like the heat of the lean motor tune but Xied solved that...

I think a tuner gives you more options, but I really only wanted to rich it up. Thing has plenty of power with the 103 stock for the touring I do.

Plus I have the Vrod to go fast if I want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
#1 that doesn't look like a Lo with the chrome and color. Mine is exactly the same. I added Vance and Hines 3" slipons with the quiet baffles, Arlen Ness Hi Flo filter, and a FP3 tuner. Runs much better and cooler. Good luck!

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
The 2014 Fat Boy comes with the catalytic converter in the muffler. You might want to check out replacing the pipes. The new pipes should not have the catalytic converter. Putting on Slip Ons does not eliminate the Cat.

Not a Lo. Chrome wheels, Amber color is FatBoy color scheme. Looks great.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Been here for a while and don't post much. I have done a lot of reading
and talked with a few owners.
I have a 2014 Fatboy Lo and love it. Most of the older riders have told me the bike needs to be modded from stock to run optimately. That an "outta' the box" Harley is "choked".
No it doesn't have the power of my Sport Bike, but does one need to make some mods to presrve engine life or will it go 30 years outta' the box with no mods? Mine is an Amber Whiskey and heavy chrome and I want to preserve the look.
Just trying to learn.

Thx ahead!

I agree, bike appears to be a regular fatboy not the lo, but still a nice looking bike. You can put in a race tuner, stage 1 air filter, and screamin eagle slip ons. These upgrades will not change the looks, other then a slight difference with the slip ons. If you are going to ride two up get rid of the shotgun exhaust, it will burn your passengers ankle. Buy a nice set of Rineharts or V/H, then put the stock exhaust in storage (most likely you'll never use them again, but at least you'll still have them). Bike will perform a little better and run a little cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts