Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded my Sportster in on 2014 Heritage Soft tail with 1400 miles on it. Going to a larger and more comfortable bike was a very good decision. For those of you who own this type of bike what is good rpm to keep it at when doing back roads. Just want to make sure I am not lugging the engine or racing the rpms too much when I shift on this bike. Sometimes on the Sportster I would lug it way too much.

Thanks, Pastor Jeff :bikerguy:

·
Banned
71 Posts
Just traded my Sportster in on 2014 Heritage Soft tail with 1400 miles on it. Going to a larger and more comfortable bike was a very good decision. For those of you who own this type of bike what is good rpm to keep it at when doing back roads. Just want to make sure I am not lugging the engine or racing the rpms too much when I shift on this bike. Sometimes on the Sportster I would lug it way too much.

Thanks, Pastor Jeff :bikerguy:
2800 - 3K . :thumbsup

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks webco2. Definitely will need to up the rpms more.

Pastor Jeff.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
What Webco says. That's about where the sweet spot on my 96 is. I usually upshift right at 3K, That puts your next higher gear around 2500 rpm. On flat highway 2200 will get your best mileage in 6th. If your not in a hurry. I don't advise it when two up. Try a set of XIEDS cooler oil temps and drives better in city traffic. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
My bad, I was going to say "red line". :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
No RPM gauge on mine

I've noticed that my 2012 FLSTC luggs in 6th gear at anything less than 50 mpg. And since my bike did not come with an rpm guage only a speedo, I'm a guessing that might help with your question.
Congrats on the new scooter. I hope it gives you many happy days with your face in the wind!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, you would.

My Fat Boy runs best between 2200 and 2400. As stated in the owners manual. I also get the best mileage when I run about 60-65 in 6th. the other day, she logged a solid 45 mpg. That wasn't back roads, but easy highway speeds.
Same with my Heritage. But I usually won't hit 6th gear until I'm up over 65.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
I've noticed that my 2012 FLSTC luggs in 6th gear at anything less than 50 mpg. And since my bike did not come with an rpm guage only a speedo, I'm a guessing that might help with your question.
Congrats on the new scooter. I hope it gives you many happy days with your face in the wind!
I have a 2012 FLSTC also, but mine does have rpm. You read it through the window that shows what gear you're in. You change what's showing in the window by pushing on the switch marked "TRIP".

I think there are 5 displays including rpm and gear, total mileage, trip A & B and time of day. You can scroll thru by repeatedly pressing the trip switch on the left handle bar. Unless yours is different from mine.

I tend to cruise in the city at 2700 rpm to have a more rapid response to throttle. Between 2500 and 2700.

Usually 2200 will give you gear and 10's of mph

2200 in 3rd will be about 30
2200 in 4th will be about 40
2200 in 5th will be about 50
2200 in 6th will be about 60

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have a 2012 FLSTC also, but mine does have rpm. You read it through the window that shows what gear you're in. You change what's showing in the window by pushing on the switch marked "TRIP".

I think there are 5 displays including rpm and gear, total mileage, trip A & B and time of day. You can scroll thru by repeatedly pressing the trip switch on the left handle bar. Unless yours is different from mine.

I tend to cruise in the city at 2700 rpm to have a more rapid response to throttle. Between 2500 and 2700.

Usually 2200 will give you gear and 10's of mph

2200 in 3rd will be about 30
2200 in 4th will be about 40
2200 in 5th will be about 50
2200 in 6th will be about 60
This is what I go with if just slowly cruising around. My bike is a lighter Dyna so it may not be as good on yours. I know if hauling a passenger I don't tend to let it get below 25-2600 rpm as it will bog unless floating down the highway

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
This is what I go with if just slowly cruising around. My bike is a lighter Dyna so it may not be as good on yours. I know if hauling a passenger I don't tend to let it get below 25-2600 rpm as it will bog unless floating down the highway
I agree 100%. at 2200 rpm you're just above bogging down and it would be worse with a passenger.

·
Older Than Dirt
47 Posts
My 2012 FLSTC has about 6200 mi. on it.
I generally don't push mine above 2500 RPM as I want this bike to last.
My last bike; the break-in period I chose was about 15K mi. to let it loosen
up. 42K+ miles and runs better than New. I will give this bike about 15K
"easy miles" and I hope to end up with the same fine results as my last one.
6th gear is in a strange place.....In 5th, 55-60 and RPM seems high, 60-65 in 6th
lugging a little, but enough speed to provide good cooling.
How do you want to treat your bike??
I have a friend who bought a new Night Train off the floor........
fried it with less than 20K miles on it !?

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
My 2012 FLSTC has about 6200 mi. on it.
6th gear is in a strange place.....55-60 and RPM seems high, 60-65 lugging a little
but enough speed to provide good cooling.
How do you want to treat your bike??
I have a friend who bought a new Night Train off the floor........
fried it with less than 20K miles on it !?

In 6th. gear

60 mph is apprx. 2200 rpm, your damn close lugging engine. Use 5th. gear.

65 mph is apprx. 2500 rpm :)

70 mph is appx. 2800 rpm :)

·
Older Than Dirt
47 Posts
Thanks, SoftailB.
I wasn't real clear in my post, but I've
edited/reworded a few things.
I think we're speaking the same language.
63 to 65 mph feels like what the bike wants
going into 6th.
Only 6K on my bike so I'm going to be nice to it,
and hope this bike lasts! (it paid off with my last bike!)
Ride Safe Always

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi gents. I'm a newbie here, but that won't stop me from adding my 2 cents - :)

I have the same ride - 2012 FLSTC. I try not to let the rpm drop below 2200 when at a constant speed. I downshift when the engine hits that mark. I have a tach on my speedometer so it's easy to track. I usually won't use 6th gear below 3000 rpm or about 65 mph. The rpm drops to about 2650 when I shift into 6th from there. I've done some engine work and added about 20% to horsepower and torque, so I get a little better acceleration in 6th, but it still is the weakest of all the gears for acceleration. the sweet spot for any steady speed seems to be right about 3000 rpm, give or take. Hope that helps!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts