Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how well the inner fairing speaker pods work that are on the new 2014 & 2015 Rushmore bikes.
They have a speaker pods that cover the complete speaker in the inner fairing.
Wondering if that helps with sound quality and if someone makes them to fit the 2013 and older fairings?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Go to Amazon.com and search for "Boom Mats". They are conical foam covers about $12. I just put them on my '07 and feel it is well worth the price and time to install. I'd explain the difference in sound, but I don't know any sound terms, just "more better".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping that someone with a vast knowledge of stereo equipment would have some input. It has got to help if you can eliminate the two speakers from working against each other inside the fairing.
I think I'll try the "Boom Mats", not to expensive.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I used split foam water pipe insulation and gorilla tape fabed up my own...works great...:dunno

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
better yet, just go to walmart and get some of that pillow filler stuff (polyfill i think). just wrap the speakers with a good dab of that stuff and your good to go.

·
IMMORTAL UNDEAD
904 Posts
Polyfil sheets from wallyworld 3times around bout 1/2" to 3/4" thick loosely wrapped, then button up the fairing.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Those pods on the 14's up are also the upgraded fairing supports. The issue with them is there pretty air tight so with much power the cone is getting canceled out or distorted because the air has no where to move. I'm considering drilling some ports in mine when I upgrade it though Biketronics claims they tried that with poor results and ended up designing new speaker brackets to eliminate the pods all together .

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Speaker pod cooling

Those pods on the 14's up are also the upgraded fairing supports. The issue with them is there pretty air tight so with much power the cone is getting canceled out or distorted because the air has no where to move. I'm considering drilling some ports in mine when I upgrade it though Biketronics claims they tried that with poor results and ended up designing new speaker brackets to eliminate the pods all together .
67Duce- here's what I did, check this out:
http://www.jmcorp.com/pdf/2014-HarleySpeakerPodTempVariVentedVsNon-Vented08-21-2014.pdf

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
I've seen this , they claimed to have experimented with the pods and not got the results they were looking for by drilling a bunch of small holes in it ,I have never seen a speaker enclosure ported this way ?

Where they have 2 holes low in the pod I would put a single 1 1/4" port in each , this should help with low frequency response .

There ultimate fix was to make speaker / fairing brackets to replace the pods altogether ,Reminds me of 70's car stereo's with 6x9's in the rear deck with the back side exposed to the open trunk.

They are claiming that the pods flex too much was the reason for making the brackets . They also say the 15 RG pods are made of a stiffer ABS plastic that doesn't have a flex issue.

I guess I'll decide this week as my bikes all apart and my Infinity speakers should be here Tues , going to add some poly-fill or other acoustic lining to them also , I may not need to port them till I add an amp though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts