Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys in need of some opinions on my painted inner fairing. Charcoal pearl with added 6.5 infotainment. Did not buy the SGS because I am not a big fan of the pin stripping and knew I wanted to color match my inner fairing. It just seems that my fairing is in need of some contrast but I do not like all the over the top chrome that can be added from the aftermarket. Was thinking that adding the chrome trim from the MoCo with the gloss backing plate would do the trick but now I am second guessing myself. I believe I can also make the chrome trim rings work with out the backing plate. Another option would be to paint the backing plate as I have paint left over from the lower leg fairings I painted. Also there are various other backing plates available but are not meant to be used with the larger chrome bezels. Let me have it !

Attachments

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
How about a shot with out the chrome bezels but with the black panel ?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well , I really like the big chrome bezels so they are going on for sure . My dilemma is that dam black plate. Just not sold on it with the painted inner. Funny because originally that is why I bought it and now just not sure. Will probably pull it out of the garage tomorrow and really get a good look in the sun. Supposedly its going to be 60 and sunny here in Ohio . Thanks Duce.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
I'm with ya on the black plate , it doesn't seem to contrast the Charcoal Grey they way you might expect it to. Maybe it just needs a little sunlight on the subject , I guess that's why I suggested trying it with out the bezels to see how it looks on it's own. The bezels alone set it off.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I might as well try your suggestion Duce and see what that looks like also. Zeeman thanks for your input and welcome .

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cant use the plate without the chrome rings due to indents on the trim to align the rings. Decided to color match the plate and install the rings. Will post a pic in a few days when I get it done.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Black and Chrome is always right. I think it looks REAL good.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think it looks good. Nice contrast. Helps the chrome pop.

.…...........................................

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks MADMACK.......Duce , the aluminum look just didn't really do it for me. I put a coat of charcoal pearl on the backing plate and will throw some clear at it in a few . Then I will mount the chrome trim to it and hope I like that. If not I am only out $80.00 as I already had the paint.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
I hope it gives the look your wanting , can't be much different for guys that have the specials with gloss black fairings and would still have to use the gloss black plate.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Cant use the plate without the chrome rings due to indents on the trim to align the rings. Decided to color match the plate and install the rings. Will post a pic in a few days when I get it done.

Can you use just the rings or do you need the back plate?

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jopagocks , it is made to be used with the backing plate. However , I believe I can make it work with some modifications. I have painted the plate with the paint I have (charcoal pearl) but it seems as though the metallic in my paint is slightly larger specks then the factory Harley color matched inner. I painted a set of lower leg fairings and they look fine but when you put it against the factory paint you can tell that it is just a little off. I am very anal and probably most would not care but it would drive me crazy if I had to look at it every time I rode. So with that said I am going to try and use the chrome trim with out the plate. I will keep you guys posted this weekend when I get back at it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Jopagocks , it is made to be used with the backing plate. However , I believe I can make it work with some modifications. I have painted the plate with the paint I have (charcoal pearl) but it seems as though the metallic in my paint is slightly larger specks then the factory Harley color matched inner. I painted a set of lower leg fairings and they look fine but when you put it against the factory paint you can tell that it is just a little off. I am very anal and probably most would not care but it would drive me crazy if I had to look at it every time I rode. So with that said I am going to try and use the chrome trim with out the plate. I will keep you guys posted this weekend when I get back at it.

Good luck. Look forward to seeing the end product. I'm in the process of taking my inner fairing off now. Got to get it painted Amber whiskey. Think the black backing paint looks good on my bike. Saw a pic online of someone that has it done.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1426815543.326389.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok this is what I decided on. I used the chrome trim with out the backing plate. I used 3m double sided tape to get them to stick to the inner fairing and it took some trial and error but I am satisfied that they will stay put. Also if needed to remove then all I have to do is pull them off and clean up the residual tape. As I stated previously the paint I had to paint the backing plate worked great on my lowers but was just slightly off from the color matched inner fairing . Threw in a few other picks also.

Attachments

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Looks good , just enough to set it off without being gaudy.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Looks great. Good work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts