Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
strange one last week.
Tail light stopped working.
However I still have brake light as well as number plate light, so power is getting there.
Also the same day the left turn signal indicator on the dash stopped working.
So maybe water got in somewhere.

Seeing as there are no fuses do you think disconnecting the battery and leaving it to sit for a while will have any impact?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well there are only 3 wires to the rear light.
number plate light is working so the power is getting there and the brake light works so I am guessing it might be the pcb :(

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
No warrantee?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
When you said "there are no fuses" I thought you ment, there were no fuses, but you must have meant no fuses blown. My guess is either a bad connection on the lamp circuit board, or a bad LED. As to the indicator not working, another problem, not related to tail light.

·
Poser Member # 99
18,141 Posts
I'd be taking it for Warranty service or trace wires for brake or find plug and see if ya have power at the plug

Look in your Harley Davidson Service Manual for wiring diagram and wire colors to check for breaks . You have a service manual right

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let us know what they find, I have a problem where my turn signal & neutral indicators to not "work", the turn signals do blink, & and the neutral "report" does work as I can still start the bike. the only thing I did was wash the bike after a ride in the rain, they were working during the rain spell, Ive checked connections & fuses too , but still no-go...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spoke to the dealer and it is going in on Friday, they said they have changed a few over the last few months.
It is a completely sealed unit after taking it off to have a look, but they said they have seen gunk get inside.
I might look to change it in the future as it is an expensive unit.

My dash lights have stopped working as well in the last week, to start with it was just the left turn signal indicator but now it seems to be everything. Have checked all connections etc

·
Registered
671 Posts
LED's can only illuminate if the driver delivers the proper voltage. Some companies call them ballasts or equalizers but whatever you call it, it's a driver. The LED's themselves will illuminate forever as long as the driver is functioning and there's the proper voltage applied to it. I would check for a bad driver as that's normally the weak link. The only problem is, I don't know if the driver is a separate unit in the circuit or possibly a permanent unit mounted in the stoplight housing itself. The electrical schematic for your bike should reference this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I seem to have an electrical issue and they can fix it under warranty.
riding with no dash lights is a pain

1 - 11 of 11 Posts