Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to my local dealership to get the 2014 Dyna service manual for my 2014 FXDL. When I got home and opened it up and glanced through it, I noticed that there is no info for Low Rider specific things such as dashboard with tach, and particularly the handlebar adjustment. In fact, there is no mention of the FXDL at all in the manual. Anyone know why? Is there a FXDL only manual? I have been wanting to adjust my handlebars and have tried a couple of times with no success. I have read that you only need to loosen the 2 Allen bolts on the inside of the riser and adjust the bar, then "swivel" the bars to compensate the mirrors etc. I cannot get the allen bolts to loosen as they are very tight. I do not want to strip the bolts and want to be sure that I do not need to do anything else, and I am frustrated and disappointed that the manual does not tell me how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
43,102 Posts
No on the FXDL only manual.

Do you have the 99481-14A version of the manual?

The bolts likely have Loctite on them. Shouldn't be any trick to loosening them.

If you use the correct size Allen bit, they should not strip.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am at work now, but I will check what version of the manual I purchased. I find it odd that there is absolutely no mention of the FXDL at all in the manual. I do have the correct size allen bit, but man they are tight. You are probably correct in that they have loctite on them. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks again!

·
Registered
43,102 Posts
The DL was introduced mid year, so its possible that the original printing of the manual did not include it, hence the "A" revision.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know, I just hope that the dealer will exchange them since I already opened it. I am guessing I must have gotten the original version.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I adjusted my handlebars on the low rider to a perfect fit fornme. You have to loosen bolts on the top dogbone to adjust the handlebar. The 4 bolts holding the risers need to be loosened to adjust the risers front to back. make sure you have some thick towels layered up on your gas tank so you don't ding it up. Took me about 10 minutes of adjusting to different positions till I found the right position for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also if you bring the handlebars forward too much, you might have to adjust your front turn signals so they don't touch the tank in a parked position or relocate your turn signals. But this is only if you are adjusting the handlers really pulled back to you. Good luck. Pm me if this is not clear eniugh and I can send you pics specifying which bolts to loosen. Good luck and ride safe. :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am at work now, but I will check what version of the manual I purchased. I find it odd that there is absolutely no mention of the FXDL at all in the manual. I do have the correct size allen bit, but man they are tight. You are probably correct in that they have loctite on them. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks again!
I have the manual and there is no mention of the FXDL. But adjusting the handlebars is actually a no brainer. I have the 2014 FXDL and adjusted mine pretty simply. Hopefully an update will be provided to include the FXDL.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The DL was introduced mid year, so its possible that the original printing of the manual did not include it, hence the "A" revision.
^This makes sense. That is the year they brought back the Low Rider.
My 2004 Dyna manual covers all Dyna models. If there is anything that is specific to say for instance a FXDWG in a certain procedure there are notations to that effect.

·
low, lone&freerider
47 Posts
Hi,
as I wrote I am new to Harley and my first Harley is a brand new 2017 Low Rider.

I think adjusting the risers, handlebar would make it a bit more comfortable.
And cause I am new in this arena I am not sure if there is something to consider before I start with the tools.

All hints are welcome (towels on the gas tank .. to avoid scratches) .. you know.
Even photos :) to be sure that I unbolt the right things.

Thanks !

·
Registered
556 Posts
Your manual and mine are the same. You can safely use it for most everything on your bike including the torque values for the handlebars. It does not specifically show you how to adjust the bars but common sense will prevail. Everything on the frame and engine will be the same in the manual. I've never seen a manual that shows you how to move handlebars forward or back. Clutch adjustment, and oil changes, on the 103 is the same for most all bikes with that engine. I would not worry about getting a more updated manual just for handlebar adjustment. Tire and brake removals or replacement will be the same along with their torque values. If anyone is having trouble adapting and or thinking outside the box, then an updated manual is a must.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi,
as I wrote I am new to Harley and my first Harley is a brand new 2017 Low Rider.

I think adjusting the risers, handlebar would make it a bit more comfortable.
And cause I am new in this arena I am not sure if there is something to consider before I start with the tools.

All hints are welcome (towels on the gas tank .. to avoid scratches) .. you know.
Even photos :) to be sure that I unbolt the right things.

Thanks !
I purchased the 2014 Low Rider to replace my Sportster mainly because of the handlebar set-up. There are 4 bolts holding the handlebar to the top of the riser and 4 bolts holding the risers adjustment point. The riser itself is bolted to the Steering Head and you will not remove those bolts.

Tools: 1/4 allen Prefer the socket allen and use a 3/8 drive ratchet. Thick towels.

I would start with loosening (not removing) the 4 holding the risers clamp closest to the tank. Keep them a tiny bit snug and position the riser where you think it fits your comfort zone. You do this by pushing the bars away from you or pulling closer to you. Snug one bolt down a bit to hold the assembly where you want it. Be careful with these four bolts because if your wrench slips you can ding the tank. That is why you need to cover it with thick towels or even a rubber mat. Also too much hand tightening will easily surpass the torque value and you will strip out the bolt.

Then loosen the 4 bolts holding the handlebar to the riser clamp at the top. Again leave them a tiny bit snug so as to adjust the handlebar to your comfort zone. You will either lift or push down on the grips to get the position you like.

When satisfied with your adjustment. Torque all bolts to 12 - 16 ft lbs.

I also like installing the chrome buttons you can purchase at the dealer to install in the bolt head to give it a nicer look. I don't want to look at that 1/4 hex.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.