Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm encountering a problem with my 2014 Road King. It seems as though when I'm in neutral for long periods of time the idle speed seems to "catch" and switch from the random potato-potato of the normal engine idling to a slightly higher pitched yet constant idling.

I just bought it one year used, about 10k miles on it. Everything should be bone stock.

I can give it a blip of the throttle and it sort of resets for a few seconds but then seems to catch again.

It can be seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyIIx0ph9ZY&feature=youtu.be

I watched the revs when this is happening and it really isn't jumping too high (900 to 1020 normal idle to a 1050 to 1060 when this happens).

Thoughts?

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Keep it out of neutral and ride that mofo.
I wouldn't be too concerned unless it was idling around 1200 or more.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Keep it out of neutral and ride that mofo.
I wouldn't be too concerned unless it was idling around 1200 or more.
X2

I would give it an "Italian tune up"

Good Luck!

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm encountering a problem with my 2014 Road King. It seems as though when I'm in neutral for long periods of time the idle speed seems to "catch" and switch from the random potato-potato of the normal engine idling to a slightly higher pitched yet constant idling.

I just bought it one year used, about 10k miles on it. Everything should be bone stock.

I can give it a blip of the throttle and it sort of resets for a few seconds but then seems to catch again.

It can be seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyIIx0ph9ZY&feature=youtu.be

I watched the revs when this is happening and it really isn't jumping too high (900 to 1020 normal idle to a 1050 to 1060 when this happens).

Thoughts?
1050 is the correct idle RPM's for that . You're idle is set too low .

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
It sounds like the high heat mode is kicking in. Back jug shuts off fuel and is supposed to act as a cooling factor. Only happens at about 0 MPH and at idle. Did you get an owner's manual? Lots of good information in there.

You might go to the New to the Community thread and tell us a little about yourself and post pictures of your bike. I love pictures. I also love Road Kings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts