Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Harley's and so many questions. Please have patience.
I sold a sport tourer and bought my first HD. I have read a lot about heat and running to rich. I can't ride for a while due to an accident so it is sitting in garage gathering dust. I want to have a bike that is dependable and enjoyable to ride when I am able. Some say Stage 1 others oil cooler some an XIED. I am not interested in it being loud just don't want to feel the heat. Looking for someone to give advice on what I can do to fix this even though it has never been ridden and I may be lucky and not feel the heat. Will just slip ons fix it? An XIED? Oil Cooler or should I do a Stage 1? Sorry for long post but not sure where to start? It will be months before I am able to ride so I do have plenty of time.
Thanks

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Bikes run lean from factory, a stage 1 with a good tuner will help but you will always have heat while sitting on top of an air cooled motor.

·
Go Army!
632 Posts

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
X-ides will help some but a heat shield will give you more protection. It will still be hot to some degree.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't spend a lot of money fixing problems that you aren't sure you have. I have a Heritage and never notice the heat. Heal well, ride safe and figure out the things you want based on your ride instead of we internet bikers. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 1998 Heritage and I have never had an issue with heat on my thighs. I agree with Chief, go out and ride it some first and see if you have an issue before buying a heat shield. If you do decide you want one, there are any number of them avaialable on Ebay or from Captain Itch.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Replacing stock mufflers will get rid of both catalytic converters. Major source of heat on right side.Oil tank can get pretty warm also. Heat deflectors will help also. I put the HD ones on, not so good. Looking at Capt. Itch leather ones. Xieds reduced my oil temp approx. 20F. Improved low speed riding around town, no more engine stalling when hot. Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
4,348 Posts
Put some miles on her then address any problems. Depending on where in VA you are from, the traffic can be a mess and anything will overheat if sitting too long. I have have my fingers crossed for the law to pass to white line. I did get an oil cooler for my 110 but it does not make a difference in the traffic since no oil is getting cycled then. I wouldn't jump to that for a 103 or less.

I would also ride awhile before commiting to a new set of pipes. Many good options and it can get expensive. I agree with a tuner, facotry settings suck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts