Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Nicholas, I am a registered nurse in New York and after being in so many sport bike related traumas I decided to trade my R6 in and get a Harley. I have a history of owning HD, a 94 electra glide and a Vrod but now I am back.

I just picked up a 2014 Sportster 1200c. I love the bike so far, it needs a little work, mostly cosmetic, but I am having a strange issue and I am not sure where to look. Basically what is happening is if I am cruising light throttle at a steady RPM the sporty like to buck a little bit. It's rather annoying and nothing like the way my carb electra glide used to ride. It is definitely having this intermittent miss. I can recognize it more at lower speed, still will occur in say 4th or 5th but if I'm cruising 3rd gear and I'm sitting at 2800 rpm the bike intermittently misses and bucks. I checked primary chain tension thinking it was probably loose, it was snugged up a bit and still have this problem. I checked codes and I don't have any on the bike. I pulled the plugs they have a grayish tint to them so I don't think I am having a rich/lean condition. Maybe spark is getting lost, but the bike only has 12k miles on it.

Furthermore are these engines likes excessively noisy? I don't remember my evo being this loud. It doesn't sound like like rod knock, maybe valve train but with with some slight rotational noise. Very hard to describe. I kind of want to take it to a shop and have them look at it but I fear they will just say, oh that's normal sportster noise and then I look stupid. In comparison to the VROD it is significantly noisier. Thanks guys in advance!

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,048 Posts
Sporty Evos slound like sewing machines on steroids (if the pipes are stock). As for your cruising issue, test the coil, but don't be surprised if it is a lean surge issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So today I decided to change plugs and clean throttle body. When I first started it I noticed a flash of light through the throttle body. Every now and then it will pop up through the throttle body. Not sure if this is what’s occurring as I’m riding but something isn’t right. Any ideas where to start?

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,598 Posts
Is the bike stock? Any mods to the air cleaner or exhaust? What you are describing is what my '19 Iron 1200 used to do. It was Lean as hell and very pronounced at lower rpm and speed. When I changed the air cleaner to much more free flowing one and changed exhaust mufflers to slip-ons that were very free flowing as well, it made a huge difference.No more bucking and surging and now it could run like it wanted to! I was going to put on a fuel mapping device for an even better experience, but I traded it for the Softail I have now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m wondering if something is wrong with the valve train that would cause these issues. The rattle I hear from the valve train is like marbles in a can at times. I’m sure a tune enrichening will help a ton but Idk it kind of feels like something else is amiss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts