Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my bike out this weekend after storing it for the winter and I noticed this on the front wheel that wasn't there when I put it away for the season. I didn't ride it on salty roads, it was stored under a cover in a heated garage. The damage is only on this portion of the wheel and only on the right side. Bike is still under warranty. Can this be fixed?

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Can't say 100% that it's not what you think, corrosion, but looks a lot like my rims with hard water spots. I've got the same bike, same rim. I just cleaned mine real thoroughly. Was cleaning chrome using Simichrome polish, then looked at the rim, figured what the hell. Tried it, worked like a charm. Don't get crazy, pretty sure there's a clear coat on the rim, but it cleaned up just as if it were bare polished aluminum. Lots of black lifted off on the tee shirt patches I use. Polished up really nice. I've also used Mr clean magic erasers, but the simichrome polish is still a favorite, results last longer too.

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
Can't say 100% that it's not what you think, corrosion, but looks a lot like my rims with hard water spots. I've got the same bike, same rim. I just cleaned mine real thoroughly. Was cleaning chrome using Simichrome polish, then looked at the rim, figured what the hell. Tried it, worked like a charm. Don't get crazy, pretty sure there's a clear coat on the rim, but it cleaned up just as if it were bare polished aluminum. Lots of black lifted off on the tee shirt patches I use. Polished up really nice. I've also used Mr clean magic erasers, but the simichrome polish is still a favorite, results last longer too.
That Simichrome is good stuff! I started using it years ago cleaning stainless and nickel plated handguns (but don't use it on a blued gun). After rubbing it on the stainless/nickel then using another cloth the cloth would be almost totally black--but man were those guns clean and the nickel ones were shinier than they had ever been.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried soap and water. Wheel cleaner. Scratching it with my finger nails. It feels like there is nothing even there. Just discolored. I'll try some simichrome but it doesn't even seem like there is anything there to be removed.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I tried soap and water. Wheel cleaner. Scratching it with my finger nails. It feels like there is nothing even there. Just discolored. I'll try some simichrome but it doesn't even seem like there is anything there to be removed.
If it's hard water spots, vinegar will clean it off, just be sure to rinse well afterwards . :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Could it be dog or cat pee?
I've had that problem with "former" pets peeing on my wheels...

·
Registered
192 Posts
The 2014 wheel I put on mine had the same spots, I used Never Dull.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts