Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who just bought a 2014, 103 CI it has an engine knock that seems to come and go, dealer said it was normal. I have a 2012 and have never heard that hard of a knock. What's up with that. It is so loud at times people ask him whats wrong with his motor. As i said it comes and goes hear it a lot when you have been riding for several miles and then stop. If you increase the RPM's it goes away. If this is normal I won't be guying another Harley or 103 anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Obviously I can't hear it, but it could be the odd noise the engine makes when the EITMS is active. Suggest your friend disable the EITMS to test this theory, then research EITMS and make his own decision on whether or not to use it.

I like the feature, many others don't.

If it is really a rod or bearing knock then press the issue to get it resolved under warranty ASAP.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Obviously I can't hear it, but it could be the odd noise the engine makes when the EITMS is active. Suggest your friend disable the EITMS to test this theory, then research EITMS and make his own decision on whether or not to use it.

I like the feature, many others don't.

If it is really a rod or bearing knock then press the issue to get it resolved under warranty ASAP.
Its not the EITMS, I've heard it before on several 2014s. A friend of mine has the same knock on his 14 Road king. Lots of folks are complaining about it. Sounds like sticky lifters. The 14 and 15 motors are louder than previous years but some really sound like they have marbles inside knocking around. I have a 14 Ultra, I have not had any knocking, now have 900mi on bike. I do notice my motor is lounder than my 96ci on my last bike. I don't know if this will be a future issue or not. My friends bike definetley does not sound right and it shouldn't be normal. I know exactly what the EITMS sounds like when it cuts out the rear cylinder and trust me this is not it.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Take it back to the dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
engine knock

Its not the EITMS, I've heard it before on several 2014s. A friend of mine has the same knock on his 14 Road king. Lots of folks are complaining about it. Sounds like sticky lifters. The 14 and 15 motors are louder than previous years but some really sound like they have marbles inside knocking around. I have a 14 Ultra, I have not had any knocking, now have 900mi on bike. I do notice my motor is lounder than my 96ci on my last bike. I don't know if this will be a future issue or not. My friends bike definetley does not sound right and it shouldn't be normal. I know exactly what the EITMS sounds like when it cuts out the rear cylinder and trust me this is not it.
This is not the EITMS I have that on my bike and sounds way different, not a rod bearing or piston or it would do it all the time. Sounds like something heavy slapping around. He has taken back 2 times and always get the same answer. I know its hard to say when you can't hear it but was hoping some one would have been thru this and give us an idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From hdforums.com:
the dreaded dropped cyl. due to running hot - Page 8 - Harley Davidson Forums

GaJayhawk said:
"On my '14 Ltd, I also had a knocking sound while running the EITMS system when the engine temp was high enough to cause the rear cylinder to stop firing. The increase vibration without the rear cylinder popping off caused a loud knocking noise until I rolled the throttle to raise the rpm. When I put the bike up on a lift and looked at the rear exhaust header and cross-under pipe, I found that I could tighten the clamps a little. That reduced my vibration enough to prevent the exhaust from bumping whatever it was bumping under there. My noise went away. After about 15k miles it came back, but re-tightening it fixed it again…this time with Blue Loctite."
This reinforces my belief that your friend should take 30 seconds and disable the EITMS when he hears the knocking. He will be hard pressed to find a quicker, cheaper diagnostic measure. Pretty easy to spend big bucks though. Good Luck!

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Take it back to the dealership.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't know if it is the same knocking sound, but I had the stabalizer bar that attaches to the front cylinder come work loose and start to knock after a few k miles. Re torqued it, went away, few more thousand miles, it came back. This time removed the bolt, threw on some blue lock tight, re-torqued and has not returned. I have 9k on mine now. I also have a few more little rattles I can't seem to find though. I will look at the exhaust bracket Howler referenced above though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
'14 engine knock

Hi, new to the forum and I probably shouldn't respond here so flame away if that's the case.

My '14 limited had a loud knock, sounded like it was in the primary.

First time back dealer said he couldn't hear the noise. I took a video of the noise and a video of the radio not staying off.

After seeing the video dealer said it was the primary compensator sprocket spring.

Tech put a shim behind the rotor. Noise is actually the crank moving side to side. Shim took care of it.

Course now there's a new noise in the clutch!!

And they haven't fixed the radio.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
If this is normal I won't be guying another Harley or 103 anyway.
If some noise that your buddy's bike makes is enough to turn you off to Harleys, then you may just want to put that thing on Craig's List right now.

Harley engines are nineteenth century air pumps which, until very recently, could only go a relatively short interval before requiring a significant overhaul.

They are not quiet, smooth, or reliable without sustained and consistent maintenance.

They are loud, rough, and dear to the hearts of many who think a Honda is about as interesting as the lint inside of a belly button. They can be relied upon to produce sounds that even a seasoned biker with many decades of road and garage experience has never heard.

And chicks dig 'em. :thumbsup

·
Registered
867 Posts
Primary comp sproket on 08 up

Hi , My 2008 never had that problem due to using Valoline AFT silicone in my primary from new . my thoughts Bud

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a new 2014 Ultra Limited 2 1/2 months ago and now have 10756 miles on it. The only time I hear knocks is when one cyl knocks off at red lights. Loving the bike. It's my first Harley.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
If some noise that your buddy's bike makes is enough to turn you off to Harleys, then you may just want to put that thing on Craig's List right now.

Harley engines are nineteenth century air pumps which, until very recently, could only go a relatively short interval before requiring a significant overhaul.

They are not quiet, smooth, or reliable without sustained and consistent maintenance.

They are loud, rough, and dear to the hearts of many who think a Honda is about as interesting as the lint inside of a belly button. They can be relied upon to produce sounds that even a seasoned biker with many decades of road and garage experience has never heard.

And chicks dig 'em. :thumbsup
can I get an AMEN?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2014 Ultra Limited knocks a bit at the red lights. Had HD mechanic drive it yesterday and he said it is shutting down one cylinder is normal for the new bikes that are water cooled.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
OK folks, let set one thing straight. "Engine Knock" means a specific thing.

Knocking (also called knock, detonation, spark knock, pinging or pinking) in spark-ignition internal combustion engines occurs when combustion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder starts off correctly in response to ignition by the spark plug, but one or more pockets of air/fuel mixture explode outside the envelope of the normal combustion front.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is what I thought as well. Mechanic said exactly what the noise was but I am having a senior moment and can't remember what he said. He has a 2014 and said his does it at the lights also. Said sometimes in as little as 10 minutes after starting his bike.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Now I could be way off an probably am. The type of gas maybe a problem. I use 93 octane an seems to run the best with Shell. :bikerguy:

·
Registered
147 Posts
my '14 limited has 7k on now - I have owned harleys that had a ping that would go away with some octane boost - this will drive you crazy. I test road this bike just to make sure it did not ping before purchase. all I have is the normal clatter clatter typical of these engines probably chain, valve, cam noise comming from the top - no knock noise ever that would come from the bottom or a bent rod? my ridding buddy has a '12 ultra just spent $3500 to have the heads shaved, bigger valves, direct drive cams, some other stuff - after a brief break in it was time to compare it against my bike. we rolled on from about 40mph in 3rd gear - I kept the throttle wide open and just watched the tach shifted just at redline into 4th then 5th. now it seems the clatter is a littler more clattery must have loosened something up but no knock or anything to worry about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts