Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Limited on May 23rd of 2014. After the first 1k miles I took a trip to Austin Texas and averaged 48 mpg. A month ago I had a Screaming Eagle Stage 1 air filter and V&H pipes put on with a Super Tuner and had it Dyno'd. I then took a trip to St. Louis, MO and averaged 34 mpg. This is a large drop and was wondering if this is normal or am I running too rich? It is running great otherwise.

P.S. I did do a search and really did not find anything that answered my question.

:biking:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know when I did mine; I had more HP and rode my bike a lot more aggressively. My mileage went in the toilet. But if I take it easy ( like when the wife is on the back) mileage is up there 40-45 mpg. No luggage?

·
Registered
635 Posts
1st - what were your dyno numbers?

I added the Big Sucker Air Filter kit, V&H Twin Slash Round pipes, and the V&H Fuelpak 3 Controller to my '14 Ultra and did not notice a big drop in mileage. I was "auto-tuning" for the last couple tank fulls so I don't think that would be a good time calculate. I will check next week and report back.

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
Sounds like it is too rich.

I would expect ~40mpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had it on cruise most of the time at about 83, just like last year. I did this on purpose because I thought my mileage was off so I tried to duplicate the riding as much as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1st - what were your dyno numbers?

I added the Big Sucker Air Filter kit, V&H Twin Slash Round pipes, and the V&H Fuelpak 3 Controller to my '14 Ultra and did not notice a big drop in mileage. I was "auto-tuning" for the last couple tank fulls so I don't think that would be a good time calculate. I will check next week and report back.
During the year I had the Big air installed and put on Screaming Eagle Slip on pipes and the shop just did a download of a stock stage 1 and I was not happy with the performance so I went with the V&H pipes and Dyno. They did not save any stock numbers but my final was 94 HP and 103 Torque. I would have to look at the map file to get additional numbers.

·
Former Lurker
3,619 Posts
48 seems really high.
Agreed.
I have a HD Extreme breather, Rhinehart True Duals and a SERT on my 14 Limited and run it pretty hard and get about 38.

I have had several other HD's over the years and never saw 48...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
48 seems really high.
TmikeX:
I went from Flagstaff, AZ to Austin, TX round trip and that was the average at stock off the dealer floor right after the 1k service.

This year was from Flagstaff to St. Louis round trip. So there were many tank fills to get the average. I was really happy with the stock performance except the sound and throttle response.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
The best I ever got on my 14 was 42. Usually around 38-40 for me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You don't always get the same amount of gas in the tank when filling up. If you were a bit light the second time compared to the first it will appear you got amazing fuel mileage.

·
Registered
147 Posts
this is common - friend of mine just spent $4000 at harley for engine stuff - they gave him the dyno sheet showing "before and after" numbers - his gas mileage went down the drain - he called harley they told him they would re map it once for free as part of the deal - he took it in they leaned it out - power went back down - gas mileage went back up - sad part is he never felt ridding the bike 2012 ultra that there was any more power.

·
Registered
147 Posts
if you want great gas mileage and big power you need lots of cylinders spinning fast rpm - well that is not going to happen. only other way is turbo - there is a company working on an electric motor driven turbo for harley which will adapt easy and cost around 2 grand. electric drive will get rid of dirty exhaust fitings and lube probs. it will not have big boost but you do not need much to make a big diff.

·
Registered
671 Posts
With what you see in my photo and listed mods, I get anywhere from 34 to 38 and I'm not running with a tour pack...saddlebags are sometimes pretty heavy. The old adage is "you pay to play". I'm dialed in at 13.2 to 1 A/F ratio so it's a little rich to keep the engine a hair cooler.

·
Registered
632 Posts
You also have to remember that not all gases are equal , I just went trough this , I filled up and ran 8o miles @ 70 mph and my gas light came on, stopped and refueled ,it toke 4.4 to fill back up, then my next three tanks where back to normal, so it had to be the gas I got

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 14 limited with the same equipment and when I alone I drop to 38 riding with wife I seeing 45 and I just smart tune my bike didn't dyno, and runs very good I put 5k on new pro tuner ,stage 1, true dauls v &h .akron ohio

·
Banned
181 Posts
If you want a engine that is not cooking it self to death with the AFR set up in water cooler numbers be happy.
Do not look for high 40 mpg
The CO of a dresser is horrible to start with .
If you want pwr it takes fuel.
Running a air cooled engine mid 14 AFR is just insane.( IMO)
Nowaday you can install a bung with a wide band oxy and see what going on.You do not need to depend on twisted numbers from a narrow band, or Harley dealership to peer into it brain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts