Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to post this in case anyone else was thinking about doing it. A friend of mine bought a 2015 Street Glide and had chrome wheels put on before taking delivery. I bought his original front wheel with bearings and rotors to put on my Road Glide.

I bought a 25mm axle with two 1" spacers on ebay. The newer axle fits right to the older forks, but the original spacers are not 1" wide. I knew I would have to cut down one of the spacers, so I didn't change the ABS bearing. I couldn't see throwing away a perfectly good $30.00 bearing. I measured the distance from the wheel to the edge of the lower fork and shaved down the left side spacer until I had the same distance. I used a belt sander to shave it down until I got it close then I sanded it by hand.

I stopped at 117/128ths. That was very close.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The stock brake calipers will not work with the new rotors. Even if you shaved down the rotors for clearance the pads ride too low.

Well, that presented a new problem because my bike uses DOT 5 fluid and the newer Brembo calipers use DOT 4. I planned to buy a set of used calipers and rebuild them with new seals so I could keep using DOT 5 and not have to change my master cylinder. (I spoke with the service manager at an H-D dealer and was told this would work.)
I got outbid on every pair I bid on on ebay and what they were selling for, plus what it would cost to buy new seals, I lucked up and got a brand new pair for a V-ROD for the same price.

I called QTM, the company that manufactures the Brembo calipers and was told that the seals were compatible with DOT 5 fluid. My existing brake lines fit right to the new calipers.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a new Dunlop American Elite tire, mounted it myself and used ride-on tire sealant to balance it. I think it looks pretty good on my bike. The steering feels lighter and turns in quicker. All in all a pretty easy mod and cost about half of what a custom wheel and tire package would cost. I like it! I hope this helps somebody.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Nicely done!! That should help someone looking to do this.

·
Hard Member
3,256 Posts
If I had the ABS bearing I would do this. But I installed the regular 25mm bearings. When I did the swap, I had about 1/8th of a gap on the abs side. Noticed both calipers only opened on one side. So I left it alone and took the loss (approximately $600 on bearings, wheel, tire and spacers that did not fit)

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Awesome job and it looks great.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I had the ABS bearing I would do this. But I installed the regular 25mm bearings. When I did the swap, I had about 1/8th of a gap on the abs side. Noticed both calipers only opened on one side. So I left it alone and took the loss (approximately $600 on bearings, wheel, tire and spacers that did not fit)
Hey Rum Runner, did you have a 1" spacer on both sides? With the axle nut tightened you still had a gap? I'm not sure I know what you mean by the calipers only opening on one side.

·
Hard Member
3,256 Posts
Hey Rum Runner, did you have a 1" spacer on both sides? With the axle nut tightened you still had a gap? I'm not sure I know what you mean by the calipers only opening on one side.
I was using the 25mm hardware.

·
Hard Member
3,256 Posts
Did not post before. I did the swap and figured out my issue. I was clamping the axle too far. Didn't notice the mark where the axle had to stop on the clamp and was going all the way to the left fork.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad you got it figured out. Since I put mine on I've been to Tennessee and North Carolina. Rode the skyway,dragon,foothills parkway and Smoky mountains parkway and back home with no problems.

·
Hard Member
3,256 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. Since I put mine on I've been to Tennessee and North Carolina. Rode the skyway,dragon,foothills parkway and Smoky mountains parkway and back home with no problems.
Total difference in riding. Cuts corners like it is on rails. And my buddy threw in his 2007 SG wheel. I like the different look. Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Alloy wheel Spoke
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Vehicle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.