Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good day all, i have a 2015 street bob with a 103 on it and have a vibration at 24-2700 rpm.dealer is trying to tell me this is normal.i say b/s,if that was the case no one would buy these.they have already shaved motor mounts to attempt to correct,with no reward.just curious if i am the only one having this problem or if there is others.thanks in advance for response

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
You are going to have to better define "vibration". Every Harley (hell every internal combustion powered anything) has a certain amount of vibration and there will be certain RPMs where it will be worse.

Easy way to check if it is just your bike next time you are at the dealer. Get the service manager to sit on the bike and start it. Rev it to the place where you know the vibration is. When he says they all have it walk with him to the showroom and let him prove that statement.

Reactions: Dyna FXD

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I really hate to agree with the dealer but, almost all Dynas vibrate below 3k RPM. Generally they should smooth out from 3k-4500.

General cruising RPM for a Dyna is 2800-3200 rpm

·
Registered
556 Posts
That is why so many riders buy the bells and attach them under the engine or down tubes. So you can hear them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
has anybody try vibra-technics ?
I have the same problem at low speed
this has good reviews. I wonder if it works like manufacturer say it does................

·
Registered
2 Posts
We all bought a v-twin with a single crankpin. Vibration is normal for these engines, it is also why they have the cadence in the exhaust we enjoy.
Ride in a different rpm range by using a different gear for that speed. Have a great day and enjoy the ride. Clay

·
Registered
556 Posts
We all bought a v-twin with a single crankpin. Vibration is normal for these engines, it is also why they have the cadence in the exhaust we enjoy.
Ride in a different rpm range by using a different gear for that speed. Have a great day and enjoy the ride. Clay
Another reason for that cadence is the off-set of the firing of the two pistons. They are not 180 degrees opposite of each other. They are like a pendulum clock that is not level (tik tokk, tik tokk) or (da dumm, da dummm). But a single pin crank does add to the vibration and the rubber mounts allows that engine to shake without a tremendous amount of harmonic vibration through the rest of the bike. I was online the other night watching film on how and why to change out the front engine mount. Seems pretty easy.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I read an article on the Street Bob and the author mentioned addition vibration in the 2500 rpm range. On my bike (disregard the my avatar, it's a 2015 Street Bob) there are changes in vibration over the rpm band but nothing I'd consider noteworthy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
its just one of those things you learn to ride around....either down shift or try and change the gearing to get what you want but its the norm and my bob has it too.......22-2300-2500 rpm's or so is where mine vibes...small price to pay for suck bada$$ery!

·
High Plains Beast
37 Posts
its just one of those things you learn to ride around....either down shift or try and change the gearing to get what you want but its the norm and my bob has it too.......22-2300-2500 rpm's or so is where mine vibes...small price to pay for suck bada$$ery!
I can't agree more!. my 2014 Fat Bob vibrated more than I was used to but this is my first Harley. Came from dual sport and dirt but like he said, you just get used to it. Down shift and keep your RPM's around 3k or better and it will smooth out. Also, if you're still running the stock tire, check tread wear and pressure. Just put the Dunlop American Elite on mine and it definitely helped! Good luck!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I just passed 500 miles on my new Dyna Street Bob. It doesn't much like the area between 2400 and 2600 rpm except as you're passing through on acceleration. My experience has been that cruising in that range is about the roughest area to ride. Things seem to smooth out around 2700 and continue that way up the rpm ladder.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just passed 500 miles on my new Dyna Street Bob. It doesn't much like the area between 2400 and 2600 rpm except as you're passing through on acceleration. My experience has been that cruising in that range is about the roughest area to ride. Things seem to smooth out around 2700 and continue that way up the rpm ladder.
yup thats about right.....depending on how hard you ride the wheel weights will get thrown off as well.....at 2800 miles on my bob i lost both wheel weights and had to have the tires rebalanced.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Street Bob (dealer says identical to 2015) and I have the same issue. However, the vibration seems just to be general engine vibration that gets smooth just under 3000 rpm. No problem here, just the result of a 103 sitting on a small, light frame.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Based on all I have read and experienced the vibration in the 2400 ~ 2600 RPM range is a quirk of this bike. I don't see it as a major annoyance since shifting gears or riding just above that range in whatever gear mitigates the issue.

Anytime you get on a bike for the first time there is a learning curve as you discover the unique character of that bike, what's normal and what might be a sign of a potential problem. One of the benefits of having this forum is to hear about the experience of other riders in helping you along that learning curve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i have a 2015 low rider with 16000 on the clock. Bad vibration at idle smooths out around the 3000 rpm mark.Vibration was so bad that it snapped the horn mounting bracket in two ,had to weld it together again.This can't be normal.I know about the crank issue but don't know if it affects all dynas. resigned myself to awaiting final engine disintegration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got 2015 Wide Glide and indeed in range 1800-2800 it vibrates as hell. Once I keep it above 3000rpm it goes smooth

Wysłane z mojego SM-G903F przy użyciu Tapatalka

1 - 19 of 19 Posts