Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it always so hard to get a new bike into neutral? My 2014 Ultra and 2015 Heritage Classic I have experienced this. Will it get better after the 1000 mile service? Hope so!

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Harleys have always been a little tricky.
Usually get better over time. And you will get a feel for it too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2012 Heritage has 17,000 miles and it's still tricky to get it into neutral. At red lights, I find it easier to put it in 2nd gear, then down into neutral. It's much more difficult to shift it into neutral from 1st gear.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
419 Posts
My 13 Fat Boy was hard to get into neutral, now that I have
almost 3000 miles, it's a lot easier to slip into neutral when stopped.
It does typically take a few thousand miles on any new bike.

Good Luck!

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I have an '05 that's still tricky from time to time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Finding Neutral

As long as the gears are rotating 9 times out of 10 it will jump from second right into first. 3rd to 2nd Gear Downshift will usually stop the gear rotation and you will be able to find neutral easily.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh yea, I had the same thing happen. I just purchased a 2014 Herritage, I had the dealership take a look at it, and they found that it needed an adjustment.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
You will adapt to the "touch" to get it in neutral.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Give it a 1000 miles or so, I used to feel that way, never have a problem anymore. I changed the fluids myself at 1k.

I, not sure if its getting the right touch or ..
The manual states to not overfill or it could be difficult to find neutral.
I measured everything exactly for the primary and transmission and after my 1k fluid change I never had or thought about it again, not exactly sure but think it was the fluid change, yet, maybe the right touch. All I know, I can click it right into neutral since and still do at 6000 miles now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was having trouble with my 2010 Ultra Glide getting in into neutral especially after it was warm. I brought it in for another problem and told them about it. They played around with the clutch plates and now it works great.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a 2012Heritage classic. I find that if I shift from 1st to 2nd, then down to neutral, it goes into neutral easy enough. From 1st to N, it just goes into 2nd bypassing N.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Tighter specs on the tranny, for at least the 2014-2015
Who told you this?

The parts inside the transmission are the same since 2010.

OP:

You can try a clutch adjustment, but don`t expect any miracles.

A slight blip of the throttle, pull the lever up just as the revs go down, or...

Shut the engine off and you can get it into neutral easily (since the only time you need to be in neutral is when the engine isn`t running :)).

·
Older Than Dirt
47 Posts
I'll go with Sportyman.
I've got a '12 Heritage. I don't think
anything has changed through the '15 models.
From 1st, shift it into 2nd, and then a really light-
touch downshift to find neutral. I don't think anything's
wrong with the bike.
It does take some getting used to.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good call alarmguy
Overfilling the trans fluid can cause neutral problems.
Measure it it always , not sure of the science behind it but it took care of my issues also and I never looked back.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Like Dan89flstc said ..........just blip the throttle to raise the rpm momentarily while lifting the gear shift lever from first to neutral & it should slide right in . RED-LINE Shock Proof Gear oil also helps or AMSOIL Severe Gear lube !

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2004 and yeah, sometimes it's still tough to find N. I have put on about three thousand miles since i got it a couple years ago and it is getting easier...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found my 2015 Softail Deluxe hard to find neutral as well but it seems easier to find as I put more miles on it, not sure if it's just me getting used to it or what lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts