Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was doing a 3 hole drain when I discovered this nightmare hahah any ideas on what I should check first? Trans shifts good and there was no indication of a problem. I did how ever drop it attempting to learn wheelies with this hog and bent the shifter so it did slam in gear before it shut off “side note it’s a selvage bike and I got it to stunt ”

Attachments

·
Registered
42,101 Posts
Looks like it could have been a snap ring of some sort at one time.

:dunno

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like it could have been a snap ring of some sort at one time.

:dunno
Yeah that makes sense, how the hell would that happen🤦‍♂️ I guess I’ll have to pull the guts and see, I’m just not sure what I’m looking for, I’ve never worked on a transmission before and was hoping someone would have a little insight on where to look first.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
You know the old saying: when in doubt, pull it out. How did it happen? could have been when you fell and jammed the shifter. Wheelies are extremely hard on m/c components.

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
42,101 Posts
You know the old saying: when in doubt, pull it out. How did it happen? could have been when you fell and jammed the shifter. Wheelies are extremely hard on m/c components.
Yup!

I've broken a tooth off of a gear once on my EVO.

Good thing it was under warranty!

·
Registered
42,101 Posts
:eek!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
yeah I’m sure that was the cause, shifter linkage is bent and I lost the shifter 🤦‍♂️ I’ll update with pics when I get the gear set out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got done putting a new gear set in a 18 Road Glide as there were no teeth left on 3rd gear!!
Really! I’ve heard the six speeds are weak, maybe I should just swap it out to an older 5 speed.

·
Registered
42,101 Posts
Really! I’ve heard the six speeds are weak, maybe I should just swap it out to an older 5 speed.
Baker can strengthen up your 6 speed.

·
91 FXLR
86 Posts
Call Baker Transmissions. I have the Baker OD6 in both my bikes, Baker is the Best, they have a 5 year warranty. You can't beat them.

Mr Baker worked for GM as Head Engineer Designing all GM's Auto & Manual Transmissions. So the man knows how to produce Quality.

Also I Read 3 or 4 months ago... the Main Bearing Next to the Inner Primary for ALL 6 Speed Trans REGARDLESS of the Brand would go Bad. Sounded like some one really Screwed Up.....!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, I was doing a 3 hole drain when I discovered this nightmare hahah any ideas on what I should check first? Trans shifts good and there was no indication of a problem. I did how ever drop it attempting to learn wheelies with this hog and bent the shifter so it did slam in gear before it shut off “side note it’s a selvage bike and I got it to stunt ”
Not sure about the metal but curious what you paid for it as salvage? I've been keeping my eye out for something like that with a good drive train and maybe enough cosmetic and other damage to get it cheap. Hand and foot controls damaged would be ok too.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
No need to remove the gearset to inspect the gears, just remove the top cover for a look. Special tools required to remove 6spd gearsets from the trans case.

Reactions: Kainam
1 - 15 of 15 Posts