Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, if I were to begin negotiations on a 2015 RG Special what would be a realistic price?

Since I've never negotiated with a dealer for a new bike, any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
A lot of times, with a "hot" model, dealers won't deal on the price, but may give you more on a trade in value, and also make it up with deep discounts on parts, maybe a free first service, free case of oil.....etc. Be prepared to ask for stuff like that, if he doesn't move on price. Shop around too.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
try to get them to remove the freight and dealer prep. you are going into it at the worst time as a buyer. You will love the bike though. going in today?

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,045 Posts
Kevin, most of the dealers I have encountered have this fixation with MSRP. That would be the starting point for most negotiations simply because that's usually what the sticker shows. Haven't paid much attention yet to the '15's down here since all they have on the floor locally are the Limiteds and CVO's, and my house didn't cost as much as they want for those.

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prob not today cause it's a busy day here at the Kendro household. My son's got 2 bday parties to attend so I've got my daughter and she's still taking 2 naps a day.

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the local dealers here has an ad for "up to 120% of book value on your trade in." I don't know the fine print on that deal, but it's intriguing.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Can I ask how many mile Misty has on her?

·
Registered
11,907 Posts
Suggestion: Ask them to give you ONE Figure, everything except tax & license. Tell them you don't even want to see any nonsense numbers for prep, documents, etc. I call that "nonsense" because HD pays dealers a PDI (pre-delivery inspection fee) to get a new bike ready and if the PDI isn't enough let them take that up with HD. And any "document" charge is for the girl in the office to do some paperwork to get you your title. Why should any of us pay a fee for that? And I ask them that, if there is anything the dealership owner MUST have for nonsense, to roll that into the ONE number they will be showing you cause you don't want to see any separate entries for nonsense. That has worked for me and I haven't paid any prep or document fees.

On my '13 RG the salesman was adamant that they MUST show prep and document fees and I was ready to walk and then he came up with a $1,000 gift card so I accepted the prep & document numbers on the invoice cause with the gift card it was a wash.

And tell them to give you the best price they can and you won't be back to haggle with them anymore and you will make your decision on their stated "best price" and will assume they can't go any lower so if they don't give you the best price you won't be calling them asking if they can go any lower.

And tell them up front to figure you a selling price WITHOUT a trade in and also that after they come up with their best price you will want to know what they would allow you on your bike--that way you can determine whether you may try to sell it yourself or may trade. Don't get into their "trap" of talking only the "difference". You want to know exactly what they are charging you for the new bike and exactly what they are allowing you if you trade and you defeat their game of low balling you on the new bike and screwing you on the trade or vice versa.

And of course on a new bike they should be giving you some deals on mods/add ons/changes/accessories/etc. as well as labor charges.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I just say give me the bottom dollar, I'm buying a bike, checking all dealers, telling all to give bottom dollar and I'm headed straight to the best deal, no calling back this dealer will do this or that. The one with best deal wins

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
You can always try selling your bike. You'll get a lot more for it -even if you sell for a lower-than-bluebok price- than you'll get on a trade in.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If your talking about LSHD for the 120% I'm walking out the door heading there soon. They have new owners as of last fall or so and have been trying hard to get more people in the door. I'm not looking for a new bike BUT them RG's are tugging at me lately also. Mine is still put away with all the snow and salt around here. Need to retire and move somewhere south.

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If your talking about LSHD for the 120% I'm walking out the door heading there soon. They have new owners as of last fall or so and have been trying hard to get more people in the door. I'm not looking for a new bike BUT them RG's are tugging at me lately also. Mine is still put away with all the snow and salt around here. Need to retire and move somewhere south.

They also have the same thing at Chicago HD in Glenview. I'm guessing same owners. I'd love to know about your experience.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
That's what I meant about more for your trade. 120% of book can amount to a sizable amount. Then hit them for what is mentioned above. The fall/early December is best time to buy, as the dealers in the north are slow. Now everyone is getting their tax return back, and spring is around the corner.....don't forget the "clock change" is tonight.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Be sure they know you are looking at other dealers. You could even tell them you already have a couple of quotes. May make them worm a little harder for you. Good luck Kevin.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
buying motorcycles "excites" me.....giggle

1 - 20 of 142 Posts