Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install heated grips on my 2015 road king and I'm not sure how to get old grips off. I don't want to break sensor or anything. Someone get me through this step by step and I will buy a manual, but I need help now, PLEASE.

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
Pretty sure left one will come off same as any. Throttle one is fly by wire gripe may have open up switch housing to remove it. Check on UTube . If there HD gripes should be printed instructions included for the install.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are hd grips but they don't say anything for the old grip removal, Mine has the inside throttle, and I don't have time to take to the shop. Its probably simple I just want to here it from someone else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Loosen the two bolts (top and bottom) on the switch housings and separate the halves. There is a flange on each grip that the switch housing overlaps. The left grip has to be twisted off with force (pliers) or cut off because it is glued on. The right grip has a splined end that mates with the spline on the TBW end of the handlebar. The right grip slides right off. You'll see the splined end of the TBW sensor when you slide the grip off. Reassemble in reverse order. Don't forget that the switch housing installs with the flange on the grip inside the housing (and not just next to it).

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I think I have it, Now I guess I pulled the splined piece out and start fishing wires to the other side.
We are now gonna try to install heated grips.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
After the old grips are removed look inside the bars, some late model touring bikes have the heated grip harness pre-installed from the factory. All ya gotta do is plug the new grips in and slide them onto the bars. I seem to remember that there's a fuse that needs to be installed into the fuse block too. That should be referenced in the directions.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, I don't want to get half way through this and screw it up. How far does the throttle sensor the splined thing pull out.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Careful to not pull the sensor to hard, the wire connector is very delicate. If the connector does break use a tiny tie strap to hold it together.
The sensor pulls out to the end, far enough to access the connector.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
You need to pull the front brake, and put a spacer in the gap between lever and housing to prevent breaking the delicate brake light actuator when reassembling. Cardboard, tie wrap, almost anything that fits.

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
:popcorn:popcorn

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
The OP has been in the garage for quite a while now ! Wonder if he's got it figured out yet ? Wonder if he's got a beer fridge out there ???

Reactions: tekslk

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
The OP has been in the garage for quite a while now ! Wonder if he's got it figured out yet ? Wonder if he's got a beer fridge out there ???
:dunno:popcorn:cheers

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pepsi fridge in the garage, No I didn't get it. The switch didn't pull out far enough I called Harley they said take the wires out from behind the headlight to disconnect the switch. I put it back together because I need the bike tomorrow and was scared Ide screw it up. I am real good at breaking things.

·
Registered
12,951 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I broke down and spent $60 on a manual and it says the twist grip sensor pulls out the handle bar end, it says you may have to twist it so I'm gonna guess my connector is stuck on something. Anybody have this trouble. Anyway it will be about ten days till I get a chance to work on it again. Did get to ride in sleet and rain today at 41 degrees was sure wishing I had those heated hand grips on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just put new bars on my 2014 roadking yesterday. You have to remove the headlight assembly and un plug the throttle harness in order to pull the TBW module far enough out of the handle bar to disconnect the green and black plugs.There are videos on line . It's not difficult at all. Just don't force anything ,the parts (TBW green plug and brake switch are delicate.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts