Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a rattle in the back of my Street Glide Special that I can't find, hear it at low speed, sounds like the lid of the saddlebag or the antenna, but putting my hand on the saddlebag lids doesn't stop the rattle, and shaking things with the bike sitting still doesn't replicate it.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I've got a rattle in the back of my Street Glide Special that I can't find, hear it at low speed, sounds like the lid of the saddlebag or the antenna, but putting my hand on the saddlebag lids doesn't stop the rattle, and shaking things with the bike sitting still doesn't replicate it.
Take a good look at your muffler mounts first . :smile

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Could also be a bag not attached securely.

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
Been lots of bag problems , make sure the fasteners are tight and there's no play.

·
Vanilla Gorilla
1,384 Posts
Take a good look at your muffler mounts first . :smile
Friend of mine had the same thing happen on his Road Glide...it was the muffler mounts under the bags

·
Registered
25,304 Posts
Take off your saddlebags and go for a ride around the block. If the rattle is still there , check muffler mounts , muffler clamps, passenger floor boards (some rattle when they are up , but not down), any and all fasteners.

Let us know if you find where it is coming from or what fell off when the rattle stopped.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the bike was in for its 1000 mile service I brought this up, and they did all the rattle checks (shook the bags, check the lids and their gaskets, checked for the antenna rattling in it's slot, and the muffler brackets), and said all is good. It must just be me, cause I still feel I hear it. But, I am still getting used to what noises this bike makes normally so it might just be part of the Harley mystique.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I had that rattle at certain RPM's for a few days...pulled the bags off and the left muffler mount bracket was broken at the L... took it off, had it welded and after 6 months, so far so good.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had a rattle which turned into a bigger thunking sound. I had the bike in for its 1000 mile service and told them about the noise. They came back and said everything was ok. Bags were tight no rattles anywhere. On my drive home the sound was there and driving my crazy. When I got home I pulled the right saddle bag off and found the rubber mount for the muffler bracket had worked its way out. Took it apart put the rubber mount back in place sound gone. So much for them checking on 1K service

1 - 10 of 10 Posts