Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pull my reverse motor for rebuild. I have never done such and want proper instructions to study first. The extended manual has 6-7 pages of "test" procedures but nothing on taking it out or putting it in. YouTube is of no help, and I can't find anyone who has done this other than the dealership (for $2,000). I don't need to test; I KNOW it doesn't work. I need to remove it for rebuild / replace.

I need uninstall / reinstall procedures! HELP?

·
Retired citizen
25,593 Posts
I'll give this a shot as I'm doing one since last year, a 2014 trike and it's still not installed because I'm doing the drive belt. From memory set the bike into storage mode then pull the maxi-fuse and disconnect the battery negative cable from the battery terminal. Next disconnect the motor wiring and remove the 2 bolts and star washers that attach the motor to the adapter bracket. Remove the motor.
Note: Use your phone and take some pics for your memory.

Reactions: Wooden Rat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give this a shot as I'm doing one since last year, a 2014 trike and it's still not installed because I'm doing the drive belt. From memory set the bike into storage mode then pull the maxi-fuse and disconnect the battery negative cable from the battery terminal. Next disconnect the motor wiring and remove the 2 bolts and star washers that attach the motor to the adapter bracket. Remove the motor.
Note: Use your phone and take some pics for your memory.

Thanks. I hope your memory is better than mine, but either way any help is good help when there is no other reference. I cannot believe that the maintenance and repair manual doesn't cover this rather important process. They outline about 20 "test" procedures but then what do you do when all the testing shows the motor is dead? HD doesn't seem to publish anything, and I can't find anything from a shade-tree or wanna-be mechanic - [crickets]. I guess HD reserves certain knowledge for techs only to force you to go to the dealerships.

I guess if I can rebuild a 1955 Rolls-Royce wedge-action brake system, I can do this.

·
Retired citizen
25,593 Posts
Thanks. I hope your memory is better than mine, but either way any help is good help when there is no other reference. I cannot believe that the maintenance and repair manual doesn't cover this rather important process. They outline about 20 "test" procedures but then what do you do when all the testing shows the motor is dead? HD doesn't seem to publish anything, and I can't find anything from a shade-tree or wanna-be mechanic - [crickets]. I guess HD reserves certain knowledge for techs only to force you to go to the dealerships.

I guess if I can rebuild a 1955 Rolls-Royce wedge-action brake system, I can do this.
The MoCo has 2 different manuals for all their models, the Mechanical Service Manual and the Electrical Diagnostics Manual. To do electrical service both manuals are required. That's an expensive purchase if you're only working on 1 bike ! If you plan to keep said bike then I suggest purchasing the manuals otherwise just ask the forums for tech advice.

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
2014 Tri-Glide Ultra
2 Posts
I need to pull my reverse motor for rebuild. I have never done such and want proper instructions to study first. The extended manual has 6-7 pages of "test" procedures but nothing on taking it out or putting it in. YouTube is of no help, and I can't find anyone who has done this other than the dealership (for $2,000). I don't need to test; I KNOW it doesn't work. I need to remove it for rebuild / replace.

I need uninstall / reinstall procedures! HELP?
Maybe this will help. I did mine last year. Works great now.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts