Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Smittybald
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought that I would own a Harley. I had my excuses, "I cannot afford a Harley." "A Honda,(2004 VTX 1300C), a Yamaha (2002 V-Star, 2008 Warrior) etc is comparable, and cheaper."
And yet, with pride, I now own a 2015 XL 883 Iron. I think I have the slogan for motorcycle owners with excuses, "Experience what you have been missing." From shopping online, the Harley showroom, the aftercare, is above and beyond.
The first time I started my Harley, I was hooked. The roar, the rumble, the ride, and by the way, I have never found so many reasons to ride. It may be an entry level motorcycle, but I am glad I for the entry.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Oklahoma; smittybald. Congratulations on your new Thumper. Got to love that tree stump pulling power of a Harley-Davidson. Great folks here and lots of information to search thru.

·
Smittybald
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deuce, thanks for the welcome. I agree, great folks on the site and lots of information to sift through. What more can I ask for? Well....

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Welcome to the life from Baton Rouge!

Don't minimize an 883 or any Sportster. There are many members here that have ridden for decades and still own and love their Sportsters. I have a friend who can afford to ride any bike he chooses, is 6'3"" tall, and he chooses to ride an 883. I personally don't consider any Harleys "entry level" bikes. I love them all. Now that you own one, you understand.

--

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome from Houston, TX. An 883 Iron was my first Harley. Loved it. My only regret is that I did not keep it long enough to mod it. Nothing entry level about it.

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Never thought that I would own a Harley. I had my excuses, "I cannot afford a Harley." "A Honda,(2004 VTX 1300C), a Yamaha (2002 V-Star, 2008 Warrior) etc is comparable, and cheaper."
And yet, with pride, I now own a 2015 XL 883 Iron. I think I have the slogan for motorcycle owners with excuses, "Experience what you have been missing." From shopping online, the Harley showroom, the aftercare, is above and beyond.
The first time I started my Harley, I was hooked. The roar, the rumble, the ride, and by the way, I have never found so many reasons to ride. It may be an entry level motorcycle, but I am glad I for the entry.
Welcome from Kentucky!!

883cc is really a fairly big bike for 'entry level'. Just 25 years ago, most people would get a below 750cc rice burner as their entry level bike, then move up to a Sporster from there.

I was looking around at the dealership while my bike was in the service dept for a grip change. Got on the 1200T Sportster to see what it was about...it has mid controls from the factory!!

The sales manager came over while I was sitting on it, and said "What do you think?" I told him "This bike should have forward controls, it's crazy for it not to." His reply was, "It's an entry level bike. Besides, you can always buy a set and have them put on at the service dept."

So now, a 1200cc is an entry level bike. And one with a touring package at that. :what? Just an excuse to make somebody pay the extra money to put forward controls on it. It would only take a couple of times of me banging my shins on the mini floorboard putting down the jiffy stand to spend the extra $400 (plus labor) to get them put on.

It's a racket, I tell ya. ;)

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
It has been my observation that there are many "entry level" salesmen in Harley dealerships that don't have nearly the knowledge of the product that their customers do. There seems to be a revolving door for sales personnel and I think many of them can only hope to encounter a novice rider new to Harleys with that type of comments.

--

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!!

883cc is really a fairly big bike for 'entry level'. Just 25 years ago, most people would get a below 750cc rice burner as their entry level bike, then move up to a Sporster from there.

I was looking around at the dealership while my bike was in the service dept for a grip change. Got on the 1200T Sportster to see what it was about...it has mid controls from the factory!!

The sales manager came over while I was sitting on it, and said "What do you think?" I told him "This bike should have forward controls, it's crazy for it not to." His reply was, "It's an entry level bike. Besides, you can always buy a set and have them put on at the service dept."

So now, a 1200cc is an entry level bike. And one with a touring package at that. :what? Just an excuse to make somebody pay the extra money to put forward controls on it. It would only take a couple of times of me banging my shins on the mini floorboard putting down the jiffy stand to spend the extra $400 (plus labor) to get them put on.

It's a racket, I tell ya. ;)
The 1200C Sportster comes with forward controls.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts