Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 2016 Harley Heritage , with only 2,000 miles on it. Air leaking out of the rear tire via the base of the stem valve. I am assuming I need to get the rear stem valve replaced. Going to attempt to do this myself. I've seen others jacking up the bike, and using a vice to break the bead on a tire to gain access to the stem valve. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to try this ? Curious if there's anything I should be aware of or careful of or a reason not to try this myself. It being the back the tire.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I believe (but could be wrong) that if your rear wheel has spokes - going off of the picture you shared in your introduction post, that it would have an innertube and not just a valve stem.

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe (but could be wrong) that if your rear wheel has spokes - going off of the picture you shared in your introduction post, that it would have an innertube and not just a valve stem.
If I'm to believe what I'm reading in other threads on this forum. This particular model 2014 Harley Heritage is of a number of models that although have spokes, does in fact have a tubeless tire. Something about a liner is in place, that is recommended to be replaced with each tire change. Which all brings me back to my original question. if the trouble on this tire is just the Valve Stem, is replacement of this valve stem possible. Via the ways I've seen online, breaking the seal of the tire to the rim, gaining access to the back of the stem valve, removing it and replacing it.

·
Senior Flatulant
915 Posts
You won't know if you don't try ... Worst-case scenario, you have a tube and off comes the wheel assembly.

I like using a couple of boards and C-clamps to break the beads. Less localized stress on the sidewalls.

Sawzall, if I'm scrapping the tire.

Cheers,
Smoketown

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
It can probably be done. But all things considered, removing the rear wheel to do it sounds less frustrating and quicker. Just think of all that wiggling around in the prone position, lack of room to get your hands/tools on the wheel. Please let us know what you do, and how it turns out.

·
Retired citizen
22,308 Posts
Those spoked rims require tubes even tho the tire is tubeless.

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
found elsewhere in these forums. waiting on my new air compressor to come in and my new Stem valve. Then I'm gonna give it a shot.

Attachments

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You won't know if you don't try ... Worst-case scenario, you have a tube and off comes the wheel assembly.

I like using a couple of boards and C-clamps to break the beads. Less localized stress on the sidewalls.

Sawzall, if I'm scrapping the tire.

Cheers,
Smoketown

Thanks for the tip. I've seen some youtube vids doing the same, gonna give that a try.

·
Super Moderator
12,575 Posts
found elsewhere in these forums. waiting on my new air compressor to come in and my new Stem valve. Then I'm gonna give it a shot.
Is your rim stamped "MTM Tubeless"?

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you sure its not just a leaking valve core?
Not sure I understand, the difference between a faulty valve stem , or a leaking valve core ? Air escapes quickly, from the base of the valve stem, where the bolt meets the rim. Trying to tighten this nut has no affect.

·
LateNight
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Air escaping from inside vs outside. Sounds like youre sure its outside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve
spraying soapy water on the base of the valve stem, where it meets the rim, creates many bubbles. Air not leaking out the middle of the valve stem, only from the base. So I guess for what ever reason this valve stem can't create a good seal.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Breaking the bead on a tire that is still installed on the machine is one of those short cuts that takes many times longer, and you will eventually pull the wheel anyway...

There is a lot of stupid $hit on youtube...

Remove the wheel, it`s not rocket science, it`s a motorcycle wheel...

But I get the impression from your posts that you already decided what you were going to do before you made your original post, hoping people would tell you what you wanted to hear.

Have fun.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Not sure I understand, the difference between a faulty valve stem , or a leaking valve core ? Air escapes quickly, from the base of the valve stem, where the bolt meets the rim. Trying to tighten this nut has no affect.

I have never seen a Tubeless valve stem that is threaded/with a nut to hold it in place, because there is no need to hold a tubeless tire valve stem in place, like there is to prevent a tube from slipping. Tubeless valve stems have fat shoulders that seal the rim hole. Like the photo you posted, and a following reply, check your rim for the tubeless stamping.

EDIT: I have seen threaded tubeless valve stems, most often the angled ones.

·
Retired citizen
22,308 Posts
I was looking at the wheel breakdown at Ronnies and it shows a rim seal kit #44752-11 that has an integral valve. Otherwise the spoked rim uses a tube. Gotta remove the tire from the rim to install that seal kit.

·
Retired citizen
22,308 Posts
Also it looks like that rim seal kit is used on the center valve smooth spoked rim only.

·
South GA Redneck
3,897 Posts
It would be real interesting to see if he actually gets this done with the rim on the bike. But I have seen these type valve stems leak at the base causing flats while on the road. Never seen one that would tighten back up. Maybe the threads the nut screws down on are stripped causing it not to tighten up and leak....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts